Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in Long Beach outside of downtown and I don't have a line of sight of Mt. Wilson. Can anyone recommend a good small indoor antenna that will perform - pick up all the local digital channels?

Thanks,

Will

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Try the RatShack double-bow tie indoor antenna or the Silver Sensor indoor antenna. Since you didn't mention what (or, whether anything) is in the path, in Long Beach, you might actually have LOS whether YOU can physically see Mt. Wilson or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray,

Mt. Wilson is roughly 40 mile away and Signal Hill is obstructing my line of sight. I'm by the ocean and 20 feet above sea level (if this any help).

I will try your suggestion this weekend.

Thanks Again,

Will

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
For what it's worth, Will, I have the Covina and Kellog hills in my path to Mt. Wilson. Definitely try the RatShack antenna first (catalog # 15-623; $15.99). There've been a lot of favorable reviews on this forum of that antenna, though I personally haven't had any experience with it. I did briefly successfully try the Silver Sensor indoors through two sheet rock walls and a solid core door, but eventually went to an outdoor antenna. (Everytime someone wondered through the dining room, family room, or came to the front door, the picture broke up. The Silver Sensor is extremely directional.) If the RatShack antenna works out, and you decide to keep it, suggestion: get a 300 ohm to 75 ohm impedence matching transformer ("balun") that has insulation piercing twin lead connecting screws at one end and a female coax connector at the opposite end. Cut all but about 6" of the captive twinlead from the RatShack antenna and mount the balun to the remaining attached end. Then use 3' or whatever length you need of 75 ohm coax to connect from the balun to your receiver. This little trick will "immunize" the lead-in against local RF interference.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm at about the same distance in PV, but direct line of sight on the north side of the hill. The Radio Shack double bow-tie works fine, though I do have to turn it slightly for different stations.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of Thanks All.

I do have a rooftop (amplified) and can receive all but one local digital station (CBS). CBS seems to break up a lot more than NBC and KCET. I believe the solution to my problem was answered by all of you. I'll go to Rat's and buy a bowtie an use it as a dedicated CBS receiving antenna.

I'll just have to figure out how to get the two to work in tandem instead of active switching. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Will

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
47 Posts
ANy chance that the Rat Shack antenna will work in a basement? The antenna I need to reach is about 30-35 miles away.

If it will not work in a basement, how long of a cable can I use for an extention to the double bowtie antenna, and still have it work?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.