AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace this Dynex player that I purchased for my mom, who is 86 and has Parkinson's Disease (PD) with occasionally moderate tremors. She is using the DVD player along with a nice Insignia (made by LG) 22 inch LCD tv. She never watches over-the-air or network tv so the cable isn't even hooked up to her tv - it's strictly a monitor for a dvd player.

The Dynex is an OK player but it can be tipped over easily if there is even slight pressure on the top front part of the case (I "braced" it by taping a piece of cardboard to the front bottom of the case). Something happened to the Dynex's tray and now when a dvd inserted and I press play the Dynex screen just says "Loading..."

I was thinking of a "clamshell"-bodied small player - sort of like the early boom boxes where the CD was loaded on top. I thought about portable DVD players as it would run off of household power and I'm sure that they have video/audio outputs. Either the tray or loading door mechanism would need to be somewhat sturdy as her fingertips are numb. If the remote had an Eject or Open/Load button that would help.

My budget is around $100 tops. Thanks for checking this out!

·
23,032 Posts
Most all DVD players today are "skinny" and front tray load. You've seen the portable players. I did see a 22" sharp LCD with side slot loading DVD - not in your price range.

The other option, but more expensive is to get her a some type of "box" that does streaming from Netflix etc. Problem could be selection, price and "learning". Same goes for a PC type device where you could load your own content and stream to TV.

larry

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/18300766

Most all DVD players today are "skinny" and front tray load. You've seen the portable players. I did see a 22" sharp LCD with side slot loading DVD - not in your price range.

We already tried a Sharp 26" LCD/DVD combo but she would forget that there was a disc loaded in the player and force more discs into the slot. I have pulled out 3 discs with tweasers in the past. Another problem with that Sharp was that there is no headphone out, whch is necessary as Mom lives in an Adult Family Home (AFH) and shares a room with one other person. We sold the Sharp to a friend (it still worked fine!) and tried an Insignia 26" LCD/DVD combo but it was a bit too large for her room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/18300766

The other option, but more expensive is to get her a some type of "box" that does streaming from Netflix etc. Problem could be selection, price and "learning". Same goes for a PC type device where you could load your own content and stream to TV.

Yeah, that Netflix box does sound nice but my Mom is so un-savvy, tech-wise!
She could barely handle having to operate 2 remotes when she had an older CRT tv and DVD/VCR combo. I printed out step-by-step instructions for how to play a DVD, VHS tape or even watch cable (this is before she moved to the AFH). You know the joke that goes "if it has more than 2 buttons it's probably hopeless"? That is my Mom.

Her sister and I picked up this Insignia 10.1" Widescreen Portable DVD Player (Model: NS-P10DVD) from Best Buy for $175. This was the biggest screen portable player that they had available and I took it home to set up before taking it to her. It's a pretty nice li'l unit but I don't like that the volume buttons are on the side and are virtually flush-mounted with the case. Also, the remote will not control the volume (I even called Insignia to verify this).

Another thing that I'm not crazy about is that the Play/Pause/Stop etc. buttons are all flush-mounted to the lower screen "half" of this player

She really only uses Stop and Play and the Insignia remote does control these functions so I had her Flipper Big Button remote learn those commands. RemoteCentral.com has reviewed the Flipper .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts