AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a small 20-21" preferred, but large than 26" HD LCD TV for my son's room. I would like one with fairly good HD PQ, but a large number of featuers is not a neccesity. He has a separate receiver and speakers so a monitor would also work. Looking to spend no more than $500.

Does something like this even exist?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, there are several 20" LCD HDTVs. Most of them have a VGA input too so you can use it as a monitor as well. Just about every brand makes them. I have a best buy brand Dynex 20" LCD HDTV in my kitchen. I didn't care too much about the brand since its just a kitchen tv.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueHD /forum/post/12994008

Yes, there are several 20" LCD HDTVs. Most of them have a VGA input too so you can use it as a monitor as well. Just about every brand makes them. I have a best buy brand Dynex 20" LCD HDTV in my kitchen. I didn't care too much about the brand since its just a kitchen tv.

Thanks. I have seen now quite a number listed but not much in the way of reviews. Like to find the best PQ in a 19-23" for at or under $500. If anyone has a specific model to suggest, I'd be obliged.

·
Registered
524 Posts
For a set in the 19" to 20" size I would go for a Dynex (BB) or Envision (CC) brand. I have checked these little sets out and they both put out really good pictures and can be hundreds less then the name brands. Any difference in picture quality seems minimal. Just for the piece of mind I would go with the extended waranty. Likely a replacement plan so if it does break they will give you the newest model. Very little on these tiny sets can be repaired.

I have been looking at these tiny sets myself for my kitchen. I am just amazed at how expensive some can get. I know on paper the specs are impressive. These little sets (even the cheap ones) can have incredible contrast ratios and fast speed but that still does not make up for being so small. It seems the latest rounds of price drops affecting the larger sets have not hit the smaller sets as much yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, folks. I suppose the little sets are not as sexy as the big screens these days and have perhaps limited applications. He has an old Sharp CD 19" that has seen better days, and those days were years ago. The only video input is coax! He keeps it in a small component rack at the end of his bed so huge size is not that critical. I will keep looking and I I find a particular good value, I will post

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yanx /forum/post/12993917

I am looking for a small 20-21" preferred, but large than 26" HD LCD TV for my son's room. I would like one with fairly good HD PQ, but a large number of featuers is not a neccesity. He has a separate receiver and speakers so a monitor would also work. Looking to spend no more than $500.

Does something like this even exist?
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEPro/S..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA

viewsonic (bottom left-hand corner).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazm899 /forum/post/12994673

check out 26 inch tv's, the sony 26s3000, and the samsung 2642 can both be had for around that price

Thanks. Those look to be good sets but I haven;t seen then within $250 of my budget. If you know of......

I am but a grateful PM away

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/12994133

For a set in the 19" to 20" size I would go for a Dynex (BB) or Envision (CC) brand. I have checked these little sets out and they both put out really good pictures and can be hundreds less then the name brands. Any difference in picture quality seems minimal. Just for the piece of mind I would go with the extended waranty. Likely a replacement plan so if it does break they will give you the newest model. Very little on these tiny sets can be repaired.

I have been looking at these tiny sets myself for my kitchen. I am just amazed at how expensive some can get. I know on paper the specs are impressive. These little sets (even the cheap ones) can have incredible contrast ratios and fast speed but that still does not make up for being so small. It seems the latest rounds of price drops affecting the larger sets have not hit the smaller sets as much yet.

Thank you. I have always found myself reluctant to pull the trigger on house brand electronics. Sage advice to couple the cost savings with an extended warranty hedge.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yanx /forum/post/12995257

Thank you. I have always found myself reluctant to pull the trigger on house brand electronics. Sage advice to couple the cost savings with an extended warranty hedge.

No problem!!

Just have to correct myself. CC's house brand is called Element and not Envision like I had mentioned. So hard to keep track of all these brands

I checked out the 19 or 20" Element at CC a few weeks ago. I thought the picture on it was really impressive. Might be worth a look!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right before Christmas CC had a Sharp LC-19SK24U for $250. Regular price $430. I bought it for my daughter and when my wife saw it she wanted one for the kitchen and I got another. Best $500 I've spent in a long time.

Excellent Picture.

Weak on sound volume.

Auto adapt to signal.

ATSC tuner works very well

CC Now $370

But I have seen this TV since at CC for $300

Great little 19" HD TV:

Screen resolution: 720p (1366 x 768)

Aspect ratio: 16:9

Contrast ratio: 400:1

Tuner type: NTSC, ATSC, QAM

HDMI inputs: 1, Supports 480i/480p/720p/1080i.

Component inputs: 1, Supports 480i/480p/720p/1080i.

PC inputs: 1

Height: 12.5" (14.2" on optional base)

Width: 18.1"

Depth: 1.9" (7.7" on optional base)

Weight: 9 lbs. (11 lbs. on optional base)

Video features: Four view modes (Side Bar/Smart Stretch/Zoom/Stretch) let you customize your viewing experience.

Audio features: Two speakers are built into the TV to produce MTS stereo sound with SAP capability.

Additional features: Picture rotate, V-chip parental control, closed caption, built-in clock, full function remote included.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Swingry. I had a friend who also mentioned that set, but felt that the installed clock in the base might be kind of "cheesy looking" for a boy's room. (?) I will look at one in CC and decide.

Does anyone know who makes the house brands for CC and BB or do they use a variety of sources?

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yanx /forum/post/12995227

Thanks. Those look to be good sets but I haven;t seen then within $250 of my budget. If you know of......

I am but a grateful PM away

my mistake, you're correct

but i have seen 23 inch samsung sets on amazon, within $50 of your budget

good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The clock is not mounted in the base it has a cradle in the base but is magnetic (like a second remote)and is actually made to say put on the frige and has on/off, channel functions, clock and timer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts