AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Klipsch KG 4.2 mains and I am currently using a KG 2, laying on its side, as a center. Eventually I will upgrade the center channel, but to my tin ears, they match pretty well.

My question is:

Whether I should set my receiver for large or small speaker for the center KG 2 (8" woofer +12" passive radiator) and what do people think of using a full range speaker for the center: is it better or worse than a traditional center ?

CG

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think it is fine to set the center to "large" if you're using a full-range speaker. Each person's set-up and preferences are different, so you'll have to experiment.

I struggled over this setting for a long time (still switch back and forth once in a while, to see the difference) and decided to leave it at "large". In the large setting, there is more punch to the front sound stage, making the sound a little fuller. It especially makes a difference with music sources (like concert dvd's). BTW, I do not have a subwoofer (don't need one), so I don't know how this will effect the setting, if at all. Like I said, you'll have to try it and see what sounds better to you. Good luck.

James

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Fredzy,

I like setting up my L,C&R channels "Large".

Like James says it gives you more impact especially on action movies. I tried setting my speakers to all small but it's not as involving. I have a B&W's 602 s3 L&R (7 inch woofer) and LCR600 (two 5/12 inch woofers), LM1 surrounds with 41/2 inch woofers and an ASW 675 sub (closed box 500 watt, 10 inch paper kevlar aluminum driver. I had it set once on the small speakers but the sound is not so involving so I went back to large on all 3 mains. Goodluck!

Porcupine

·
Registered
279 Posts
If my understanding is correct, when you set the speakers to "large" only the LFE is sent to the subwoofer. If you set them to "small" you will get everything that is below the crossover point (say 80Hz since that seems the norm) get redirected by the receiver to the subwoofer. IF you don't have a sub this would get directed to your Main (L/R) speakers - it's all in the setup of your receiver. Some people like it set to "small" because the subwoofer can better reproduce those low frequencies and it takes the strain off your receiver to send these to your speakers. So your speakers are free to reproduce all sound above the crossover more effectively, some say for a "cleaner" sound.

Other's like it set to large for just the above mentioned reason.

It's really your choice, try messing with the setting and see what you think sounds best, after all it's your HT, not someone elses.

If you have a decent center that can reach down into the 20 - 30Hz range and want to use it as Large and let it reproduce the Low frequences...go for it...but if you have a decent subwoofer, I'm going to have to say it would reproduce those frequencies much better and cleaner.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
If a speaker will deliver a clean 105dB at your seats down past 20Hz, it's "large." A single 8" driver won't do it. If they don't do that and you prefer the sound of it run full-range than when you cross it over to a sub with a reasonable frequency (

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
My mains will handle lots of power, and are only 3 dB down at 32 Hz. So I set them to Large.

'Titan AE' blew the amp fuse on the RF (solid 140W RMS) the other night. SPL wasn't even that high. It must have been one of the bass-heavy sequences.

Now I have the fronts set to 'Small' with the cross-over at 40Hz. In effect, I've got bass management acting very similar to an infrasonic filter to protect the mains amp. Plenty of punch from the sub anyway.

Small is a good general principle. Just set the cross-over frequency correctly. I've heard that the rule of thumb on xover is 1 octave above the nominal roll-off frequency.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have to agree with Drew.

If you find something lacking from setting them to small your sub may not be up to the task at hand.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Dolby, Polk, Hershellman and other pros suggest setting all satellite's to "small" and implement the Bass Management in your pre/pro. You will get 20Hz-20KHZ sound with the Bass Management engaged anyway and much less distortion from the smaller speakers if they are set to small.

http://www.mkprofessional.com/bass_mgmt.html

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You will also experience a lot less dynamic range compression at louder listening levels, unless you have a tank of an amplifier. Taking the burden of the low freqs off the receiver amp does many positive things for the sound range that it is still responsible for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.