AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dass die DLP-Technologie damit aber immer noch locker mithalten kann, zeigt der neue Yamaha-Projektor DPX-1 (siehe auch Meldung von der CES). Zu einer kurzen Vorführung kam Charlie Sugimori von der Yamaha-Zentrale in Hamamatsu kürzlich nach München, wo wir uns in den Redaktionsräumen der Kollegen von Image Home Entertainment trafen. Der Hersteller nennt für den DPX-1 einen Kontrast von 900:1, und Kollege Udo Ratay konnte es sich nicht verkneifen, sein Luxmeter ins Bild zu halten. Sein Kommentar. "Entweder das Messgerät ist gerade kaputt gegangen oder das ist wirklich der beste Wert, den ich je bei einem Projektor gemessen habe." Dem Augenschein nach war die Messung aber in Ordnung, der Yamaha war wirklich brillant. Auch sehr erfreulich seine PAL-Darstellung, die vermuten ließ, dass hier tatsächlich ein echter Filmmodus aktiv ist; bei den meisten anderen Geräten funktioniert der nämlich nur bei NTSC. Auch ist er sehr leise.

Ansonsten aber bietet der DPX-1 eher Hausmannskost: Das Farbrad dreht mit normaler Geschwindigkeit und hat nur drei Farbsegmente, noch nicht sechs, womit das Farbblitzen (der so genannte Regenbogen-Effekt) noch zu sehen ist. Besonders enttäuschend aber die Palette an möglichen Eingangssignalen: Über die VGA-Buchse akzeptiert der DPX-1 keine 50-Hertz-Bilder, über den Komponenteneingang nur 480p, 720p und 1.080i. Damit besteht keine Möglichkeit, Progressive-Scan-Player anzuschließen, die echte PAL-Bilder wiedergeben. Und, so Charlie Sugimori, es wird auch keine Möglichkeit geben, diese Signalarten nachträglich zu ergänzen. Das ist für 20.000 Mark schon etwas enttäuschend.

O-Ton Sugimori: "Es ist so viel angekündigt worden, wir konnten aber nicht warten, bis alles wirklich zu haben ist." (6. 6. 2001)

Yamaha DPX-1, Charlie Sugimori: Ein Projektor mit sehr schönen Bildern, aber noch nicht allen Möglichkeiten, die uns die Zukunft hoffentlich bringen wird (oder die Gegenwart, siehe CineUltra). Yamaha bringt den ersten DLP-Projektor im August auf den deutschen Markt, er wird rund 20.000 Mark kosten.

Ok I'll try and give here a short "translation":

- real Filmode for PAL and NTSC

- accepted: 480p,720p,1080i no PAL-modes available wether now nor in future so a PAL Progressiv DVD-Player won't work with 525p!!

- Contrast seems to be as high as 900:1

Mr. Udo Ratay's (tests projectors for a German magazine)comments:

"My Lux-meter must be broken or this is the best contrast/blacklevel I have measured up to date!"

- normal speed / 3-segment colorwheel (not 6)Rainbow effect still visible

- very quiet (no measurments in the article)

- available August 2001 in Europe

- Price around 9000$

This seems to be a very nice projector with (surprise) a few missing features (as usual) to make it perfect(colorwheel,speed...)

But it seems to be very good for the US market, since performance is dedicated especially to NTSC.

Thanks

Anthony

PS: Link http://www.loehneysen.de/#119

[This message has been edited by Tony-V (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi,

I understood the review different. For me and the other members of the german HT formum ****************** the the yamaha is a big disapointment.

It's a new projektor without importend features like PAL progressive and no RBGRBG colour wheel. This is not state of the art. Beware, the price should be 20k of german mark.

CU

Frank

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi,

I agree with Frank. We waited very, very long and then http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif there comes a Yamaha without 576P ability and also this "brand new" unit has no RGBRGB-color wheel. It's a big disappointment, indeed.

Best regards, Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I'm not sure that you can blame Yamaha for not supporting progressive PAL when the standard hasn't been ratified and none of the DVD players support it either. Same thing could be said about the 6 colour wheel or lack or, this option isn't available yet in any DLP projector.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Jeff

All the new dlp projectors in the states are starting to ship with the new rgbrgb color wheel.

The Seleco is now shipping with it as well as the Davis was almost ready to ship with it also until we got the bad news.

This new rgbrgb wheel is a big improvement. Shortly is will be a common feature.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Alan,

I didn't think that the Sim2 HT200DM was shipping for another month or so. I think we should bare in mind that this is Yamahas first effort and was probably developed a bit early for the 6 colour wheel. It does have a more advanced wheel than most of the current models. Also isn't the Yammi more comparable with the HT250 due to the 1024x768 resolution. Is a 6 colour wheel version of the HT250 now shipping?

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JeffY (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Jeff,

the Denon DVD-2800 is the first unit in Europe, which supports PAL576p, also high-end players like Theta, EAD or Proceed supports it. And all scalers, from the Isca-Pro to units like Vigatec or Faroujda NRS needs the 576p option.

Greetings, Walter

PS: Can't wait to see the SIM HT200DM next week...

------------------

·
Registered
352 Posts
@ Jeff:

The 0,9" dmd-chip used in the Yamaha is qualified for the RGBRGB-color wheel. So it is very sad, after this long time of development ( ? ) not to use it.

Walter

------------------

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Jeff,

something to add: The 0,9"dmd-chip - qualified for RGBRGB - is a discontinued chip. It's the chip used in the HT250.

TI made especially for HT applications the 848x480p ( 600 ) dmd-chip and in autumn the1280x720p dmd-chip with the DM3 technique will be released.

IMHO I think that in future the 848x600 and the 1280x720 dmd-chip will be used in special HT-projectors. The 1024x768 resolution is too similar to 1280x720, that is real 16:9. I asked the TI represantive in the special guest thread for special PAL solutions. He mentioned only the 720p chip as ideal.

Best regards, Walter

------------------

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Hi Jeff

The 200DM is in stock and just now shipping hear in the states.

This same wheel will also be added to some of the current 1024 units.

Hear in the states the Yamaha is still in the beta stage so I would think it could be added.

Its sad when a product is out dated before it is even released.

On the plus side I think the Yami has dvi input.

Im curious to hear if anyone has seen this in action.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
1280x720p? now thats more like it. Having used widescreen TVs for years I couldn't see myself buying a 4:3 projector. Since I have already blown this years budget on a Denon AVC-A1SE and a HTPC I'm quite glad that what I'm looking for hasn't been released yet. Never mind about Yamaha I'll probably by a Seleco anyway, e perche sono quasi Italiano. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jeff

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Alan,

the German magazine was very excited about the new Yamaha. The contrast ratio is very, very good. But on the dark side espacially for Europe were the non-576p PAL-resolution and the non-used RGBRGB-color wheel. The Yamaha is based on a Plus unit, which are well-known because of their high contrast. So in the US, adding a RGBRGB-color wheel it could be a winner.

Greetings from Austria, Walter

------------------

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alan,

>The 200DM is in stock and just now shipping hear in the states.

>This same wheel will also be added to some of the current 1024 units.

Hmm...what current 1024 units do you mean? The HT250? Will they change the model name too or do you have to know the production date of your unit, if you want be sure to have the new wheel?

And of course no upgrade possible, I guess :-( (Maybe I should sell my HT250, wait one or two month and then buy the better HT250. But who wants an older HT250, if there's a better one out there).

I'm used to change my computer hardware on regular basis...but the costs for a XGA-DLP is in another league, so I'm not very amused about these new (better) units....unfortunately, I hardly see the rainbow effect on my HT250.

visar

·
Registered
733 Posts
What does better mean? I don't see rainbow at all so why would I dump my DLP projectors to buy the latest and greatest. I used to be an "audiophile" - big mistake. You can spend a lifetime running around spending a ton of money in search of the illusive "perfect" this or that.

A lot of what we read is marketing hype. Companies need to keep selling so every "improvement" is hyped to the max to keep consumers interested. I've traded in audio equipment to buy the so-called "best" only to find I liked the equipment I just got rid of better than the new stuff! The smart people are the ones who take advantage of our fanaticism and pickup our discards for a song!

I think the Yamaha is going to be amazing - I'll bet for the vast majority the colour wheel won't be an issue, but the improved blacks and contrast will be! What's good is good. Some lower tech products blow some high tech products out the window - who knows why, they just do!

The Runco SVGA DLP and Sony 16:9 10HT LCD are very good projectors - the higher resolution Sony should, one would think, produce a better image, even for DVDs than the Runco. If they were giving them away I'd take the lower resolution (lower tech 4:3 chip) Runco with its "punchier" picture thank you very much!

Is there hope for me? My wife thinks so - all I have to do is get a life!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi,

the Yamaha has a RGB-color wheel without the clear section. So color accuracy should be better than with the Plus presentation units.

Walter

------------------

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Because the Yamaha is not shipping it is very possible that an RGBRGB color wheel could be fitted with a software update for the increased speed. I have heard this rumor two or three times now that the delays where over the brightness issue seen at ces and that the new color wheel design of RGBRGB was being seriously looked at because the XGA 0.9 DMD can handle the speed where the XGA 0.7 DMD could not.

Interesting but I think Davis was using the XGA 0.9 DMD with the new RGBRGB color wheel before their bad news. August leaves time to still do this mod.

DavidW

·
Registered
56 Posts
Walter, you said,
Quote:
the Denon DVD-2800 is the first unit in Europe, which supports PAL576p, also high-end players like Theta, EAD or Proceed supports it.
I fully agree with you about the high-end players supporting Progressive PAL, but my understanding is that the Denon DVD-2800 actually downconvert PAL to 480i before deinterlacing the signal. So, it doesn't support 576p, properly speaking, but it does output a progressive signal out of a PAL signal... call it marketing if you want http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------

Emmanuel

"STOP DFAST/HDCP"

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Emmanuel,

there is a software upgrade made in Germany, which most of the dealers do. Then the Denon can do really 576P, not only quasi 480P for PAL sources.

Greetings, Walter

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.