AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently put together a nice 2.1 setup, in my bedroom. This is used for an occasional movie, night time TV and all of my music listening. I have a very limited budget, but I wondered if Acoustical Treatment might be able to improve things some. This is just a very basic 2.1 setup, listening position is on my bed. Forgive the awful drawing on my layout. lol It looks like first reflection points are not possible, except for the ceiling. I was thinking an absorption pad at the ceiling first reflection point. Now there is only roughly a foot behind my head to the rear wall. I wanted to put a diffuser panel behind my head, but I'm wondering how beneficial it would be so close to my ears?

Those are really the only things I had in mind in this room, with my budget. Would absorption panels behind each speaker itself help? I am extremely new to all of this. What do you think, guys? ALso, if it matters, I have a Pioneer 1120 with MCACC. Ideally, I would like to buy a MIC and borrow my girlfriends laptop and take measurements and see how the treatments work and even move them around if needed, but only if I find this room worth the investment in the first place.

(My 42" plasma is wall mounted above the speakers and my other equipment (AVR, stereo Amp, BD player) is on the dresser between the speakers.)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would real pictures help? Or did I ask in the wrong area?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Your post is fine, but you say you have a problem with acoustics and then say you can't treat the walls, so I saw no point in replying.

In the mean time, this short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

More here:

How to set up a room
Early Reflections

This answers your question about diffusors near your ears:

All About Diffusion

--Ethan

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I didn't think I could atleast.
. I have watched a few of the video's on your site and found them helpful and interesting. Unfortunetly, a lot of it is over my head. I'm just trying to get into this type of thing.

I was wondering how bass trapping would work for a room shaped like that? Is it still preferable to first tackle all corners or would you take a different approach for odd shaped rooms?

I understand I'm somewhat going about this backwards. I just ordered a Behringer ECM8000 Mic and hope to learn about REW software and start looking at what I really have to deal with.

I just kind of figured there might be a basic approach I could take. I know if I ended up purchasing a few pieces of acoustic treatment now, even down the road I could put them to use somewhere.

Thanks for the response. (After just making my first real upgrade to a nice 2.1 setup and running Pioneer's MCACC room correction, I got a little excited and anxious for more.
. )

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
I find acoustic treatment is (relatively) more effective in a smaller room due to the higher modal frequencies (see calculator on Ethan's site). Given the dimensions, assuming the drawing is to scale, I'd put an absorber panel (not diffuser) on the wall over the bed (behind you), then think about the ceiling and side walls.

Bass trapping works best at boundaries, meaning corners, but that also means wall-wall-ceiling, wall-ceiling, etc. Put 'em where you can. Ethan also has DIY advice on his site.

All imo - Don

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Before you go pounding nails and hanging anything, do some experimenting first.

You can use pillows and duck tape to see if absorption is in the right places, like behind the speakers, on the ceiling. As for the wall that is behind you, try to find some objects that would scatter the sound, I like diffusion behind and to the sides in the back of the room and absorption up front on the ceiling and side walls.

Play around with this a while and have some fun with it. Post a pic of the duck taped pillows Lol. I always listen to all the advice here and remember you have room to move on this and experiment.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback guys. The pillow idea is great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.