AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on turning a basement bedroom into a home theater with a 100" screen. The room is only 12 x 14.5 and the viewing distance would be around 11 feet from the screen. I don't mind sitting that close to the screen. There would only be enough room for one couch but it is only my fiance and myself who would be watching it 95% of the time. It would be a 7.1 audio setup. There is a closet at the rear of the room. Does this setup seem like it would work for both audio and video and where do you recommend that the components be placed.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
You can certainly make that work. If it were me and one of the walls of the room backs up to an open area, build the rack in the wall along the side or rear. You can build it into the closet easily and just use IR repeaters.

You are sitting pretty close to the screen. You might run into issues with scan lines, screen door, etc. dependingon the type of PJ you are going to run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know where I can buy IR repeaters. I am not familiar with them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Parts Express has them. Good people to deal with! I've spent many dollars with them, an have always had my shipment in less than a week.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
I would refer you to the article about screen size on the Projector Central website:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm

See the 3rd article under Commentary.

They recommend a seating distance of twice the screen width, (or a screen width of one-half the seating distance). Sitting 11' (132") from the screen, this gives you a screen width of 66" or a 76" diagonal screen. You may want to consider a smaller screen in such a small room with your seating so close to the screen. Several manufacturers offer screens approxiamately this size. The added benefits are that colors are richer and more vibrant, and it is easier to view the entire picture in your field of view.

Good luck.

Craig

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jnic002
I am planning on turning a basement bedroom into a home theater with a 100" screen. viewing distance would be around 11 feet from the screen.
See the viewing distance calc (3rd from bottom) on this thread . Your viewing distance is jim dandy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am currently 11' from a 100" diag. screen and with a DLP projector it is fantastic. I wouldn't be concerned about this distance provided you buy a quality projector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I plan on purchasing a BenQ PE8700 DLP projector, which I have heard a lot of good things about.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mount the projector and test the image size you can realistically get before purchasing the screen!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.