AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been running around in circles not knowing where to place the X1 that I just ordered. I was originally thinking about placing it in the family room, with the screen going over the plasma, but am now having second thoughts. It seems like it would be a lot of work concealing the wires and mounting the unit (I have 12-15ft ceilings). Thus, I've been toying with the idea about turning my spare bedroom into a small theater. The room measures 10ftx11ft (small, I know). Is this feasable? Do you think this is too small for a screen? I would probably want a 16x9 screen in the neighborhood of 60-90in diag. btw. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The X1 has a relatively long throw lens. At 10 feet from lens to screen the largest image is 64x48 (80 inch diag.). At 9 feet from lens to screen the largest image is 72 inches (diag.). Here is a link to the projection distance calculator at projectorcentral.com (select the PJ from the drop-down list).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just talked to Infocus and they recommended a 60x80 screen. I told them I wanted a 16x9 screen and the rep said I needed to mask a distance of 7.5in on top and bottom. I was thinking about painting the whole side of the wall black. I also called Jason at AVS (Great guy btw!) and he recommended I get a 16x9 screen that was 45x80 (92 in diag.) and mask the top and bottom of the screen. I am leaning toward the Dalite Model C High Power screen btw. Would I be better off masking it, by using some type of velvet or should I just paint the wall black? All input is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think you can achieve an 80" wide screen at a throw distance of 11 feet with an X1. I'm at roughly that same distance, and max out at 72" wide (which is still huge considering my seating distance is the same 11ish feet!).

You might want to verify the information you've been given, using the size calculator at projectorcentral.com or the InFocus website.

Dave

P.S. In response to your original question, my room is only slightly larger, and the wife and I both love it! Nothing like a 72" wide image filling your field of view. Forget the movie theater, bring on NetFlix!

·
Registered
124 Posts
FWIW,

I have a 96" diagonal 4:3 screen in a 12.5' x 12.5' room. Throw distance is @ 11'. DaLite also recommended NOT using a High Power with cieling mounted PJ (still searching for the 'right' screen for me)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. The distance would actually be a tad bit longer than 12 ft (12'4" to be exact). Does anyone anticipate a problem going with a 45x80 16x9 screen at that distance? Also, which Dalite would you recommend. I definitely want the Dalite C model. Just not sure about high power, matte, etc. TIA!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an x1 in a pretty small room. Getting the screen size just right can be pretty tricky, given all the variables. If I were you, I'd get the projector mounted where you want it, arrange your room, and then test on blank wall, or 4'x8' foam core. Once you are happy with your image size and room arrangement, then worry about your screen.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds like the best thing to do. I think I will hang a white sheet and project it onto the wall as soon as my X1 gets here. May I ask what screen you use? Model, size, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You may want to go with a DIY screen for starters. There is a lot of info in the screen forum. You can buy 3 yards of blackout cloth for around $15.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doh! I got the measurements wrong on the Infocus site. The measurements were for a 4x3 screen. When I changed it to a 16x9, the measurements were smaller. According to the Infocus calculator, a distance of 12.3 ft will yield a minimum diag. screen size of 74.6 in and a maximum diag. screen size of 89.6 in. Thus, the 92 in screen seems like it would be too large. Can someone tell me what size is the next smallest down? This would be a 16x9 screen btw. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.