AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting help for other aspects of my HT elsewhere in this forum, but have a quick question on screen size:

I'm building a rather small HT due to limitations of my home design - it'll be all-inclusive in a 12'x12' area. I'll also be projecting an image over my corner fireplace and am limited to a 48-50" picture width by that diagonal wall. I've decided that my picture size should be 48"x27" or about a 57" diagonal.

On a screen that small, is it pointless to quibble over the differences between CRT and DLP? Won't they *both* give me an equally terrific picture since I'm not pushing either type on sheer size?

Any advantages to DLP here?

------------------

> Jim <

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The big advantage to digital in a room this size is the size of the projector itself. However, if you are able to ceiling mount the projector, perhaps this isn't an issue either. I am assuming you'll be mounting the projector to the ceiling in the opposite corner. Remember you've also got to have sufficient clearance for cooling.

For this small size, you may also want to consider a flat panel TV.

You didn't say, but I am assuming you have full light control and will be mainly watching movies. In the DLP, I'd consider the Seleco HT200DM which has very good color and is native 16:9. Pixel visibility just won't be a concern with the smaller screen. You should get a very bright and colorful picture from this unit.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am also setting up a small HT. 11 foot throw for a 60 inch diagonal picture. I tried the LT150 because of the price and strong reviews but traded it in for a sanyo LCD with a zoom because I didn't want to ceiling mount it. What are you doing for a screen? Permanent or snazzy pulldown?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Henry - I like a 'snazzy, finished look'. I'm looking into an electric screen that's housed in a thin veneered box over the mantle. When retracted, I can see the artwork on the wall behind it. The box will also act as a plant shelf and house two spots for the art.

Scott: too messy... :) besides, I don't really have the room in that little 12x12 room to require TWO places for something the size of a decent RPTV.

And besides (again),how could I enjoy the fireplace AND the TV simultaneously without setting fire to the damned thing? :)

------------------

> Jim <

[This message has been edited by Jimmer2 (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jim- I have been looking at dalite and stewart screens- but can't figure out which have the smallest housing- for my installation (back of a fireplace, nice brick wall) I also want a very subtlelook. Let me know if you find anything! and good luck with the rest of the sys. So far my LCD (and DLP) experience with a good surround system has been lots of fun.

Henry

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Why not just go with a RPTV? I think most of them are on wheels, so you could wheel it in front of the fireplace when you want to watch a movie and then wheel it back to a corner the rest of the time. It would probably offer better flexibility in terms of day-time viewing as well.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.