AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a small sealed sub to go with my paradigm studio 10s and a denon avr-331 in a 2.1 set up. I don't have much space or flexibility for placement. My current choices are (not listed in an order of preference):

SVS SB12-NSD

Sunfire TS-SJ8

Velodyne Mini Vee

Optimum-8 (Really like the auto built in room correction since I don't have many placement options. Chris @ Audyssey recommends running the sub's room correction, then audyssey. Kind of Pricy compared to the others)

Although used somewhat for movies (the standard sat night movie) the primary concern is 100% music, I'll take what I get for movies.

Anybody else have any other suggestions. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20869406

I'm considering a small sealed sub to go with my paradigm studio 10s and a denon avr-331 in a 2.1 set up. I don't have much space or flexibility for placement. My current choices are (not listed in an order of preference):

SVS SB12-NSD

Sunfire TS-SJ8

Velodyne Mini Vee

Optimum-8 (Really like the auto built in room correction since I don't have many placement options. Chris @ Audyssey recommends running the sub's room correction, then audyssey. Kind of Pricy compared to the others)

Although used somewhat for movies (the standard sat night movie) the primary concern is 100% music, I'll take what I get for movies.

Anybody else have any other suggestions. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wow I'm in the exact same boat, although I will be replacing my two current 8 inch aperion subs with two new 8-10 inch subs.

I think the sunfires are out as everything I've read on them seem to indicate the SQ is not that great the other options seems to be pretty good choices from what I have seen

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I have the old SB12 with the Studio 10 with Audyssey handling the calibration and it's FANTASTIC. Super detailed bass, and it's nearly flat out to 20Hz in my smallish room. I don't think you can beat the sound quality until you move to the JL F110 and even that's debatable.

For movies, it's pretty darned good. Never a boomy note anywhere (once you place it properly)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20869406

SVS SB12-NSD

Sunfire TS-SJ8

Velodyne Mini Vee

Thanks,

A while back I was in the same position (2.1/100% music) and went with the SVS SB12-NSD. Fantastic for music and no slouch for movies.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/20869714

I have the old SB12 with the Studio 10 with Audyssey handling the calibration and it's FANTASTIC. Super detailed bass, and it's nearly flat out to 20Hz in my smallish room. I don't think you can beat the sound quality until you move to the JL F110 and even that's debatable.

Thanks, one vote for the SVS. That was a friend of mines recommendation as well.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I also own the SVS SB12nsd. In fact I own two and they are indeed a great little subs. They are very deep, detailed and powerful and do a respectable job with music. SVS gets my vote too

I would also however advise you to check out the new Emotiva Ref-X series as well. It is a brand new sub but if the older ultra 12 is any indication, it should be a solid choice:

http://emotiva.com/xref_sub12.shtm

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20869840

I also own the SVS SB12nsd. In fact I own two and they are indeed a great little subs. They are very deep, detailed and powerful and do a respectable job with music. SVS gets my vote too

I would also however advise you to check out the new Emotiva Ref-X series as well. It is a brand new sub but if the older ultra 12 is any indication, it should be a solid choice:

I had looked at emotiva, just too large. About a ft cube is a large as I can tolerate.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20869840

The EMO xref 10 does fit my footprint requirements. That's a possibility. I wish they had a manual posted on line.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

I meant to say the Sb12nsd does ... Ultra 12 so it may be a good choice for you.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/20869724

Thanks, one vote for the SVS. That was a friend of mines recommendation as well.

Um, then doesn't that make it two votes?

I would probably say the SVS is the best of those as well, so it's almost a unanimous decision!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.