AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Optoma HD200x in the garage for sports and party stuff, and in the movie room, I'm running an Epson 8350. I have a spare room that I want to set up for either kids or company that stays over or whatever. I have a spare Asus O!Play media streamer and I want to buy an LED projector to project about a 40-55" image.

What are my possibilities? It will be fed STRICTLY MKV rips from the media streamer over HDMI, screen size has to be above 40" but below 60". Screen will be custom DIY by me once I figure out throw ratio and exact size.....

All the media will be in HD (720p minimum), but the projector need not be HD. Just has to be bright enough and at least 800x600 (preferrably 854 x 480 or 1024 x 768). Light is 100% controlled too.

What are my best options? Is it even possible or are these little LED projectors simply garbage and am I better off with a 40" LCD flat-panel?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doin' a little research and the Optoma PK201 keeps popping up. Can this little thing really do a 50" (or so) screen? Completely dark room.....720p video source over HDMI.....will this work? Am I setting myself up for a disappointing image?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
dont think it does hdmi-

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
hdmi choices start at 300$ acer k11 optoma pk301 , aaxa m2,Samsung SP-H03

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Vivitek Qumi at $500, or wait a bit and get the brighter Optoma ML-500 or the Acer/Viewsonic labelled units. Why not get a nice 50" 1080P plasma?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk /forum/post/20802532

Vivitek Qumi at $500, or wait a bit and get the brighter Optoma ML-500 or the Acer/Viewsonic labelled units. Why not get a nice 50" 1080P plasma?

I like the energy savings of a small projector and @ 50" from 10 feet away playing 720p material, 1080p flat-panels are not on my radar for this application.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the higher res is definitely a bonus.....depends on your video source resolution too I guess...

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/20807631

Yeah, the higher res is definitely a bonus.....depends on your video source resolution too I guess...

I can get the PK301 about $50-80 cheaper than the aaxa and was wondering if its worth the savings !?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your best choice is the Acer k11, an excellent projector (I've used mine for 9 months now) that's the best in the 8x6 class. The picture actually looks better than an equivalent large LCD projector. I recently tried some of the smaller projectors mentioned here including the Optoma but the pictures were muddy and the resolution mushy. Last winter I used the Acer to project movies onto the wall of a resort I was staying at (it color compensates, too) with such success that it got a movie club going. A high quality product, with most of the bells and whistles like HDMI, that doesn't disappoint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts