AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya, so here's my situation. I bought a condo apartment last year, and am now getting around to tweaking some furniture and the audio system. Rough layout is as follows:

I am currently using the following:

Yamaha receiver (RX-V430)

bookshelf speakers, ADS L470's (high end, once upon a time)

a couple of low-end Infinity satellites, an Infinity subwoofer & center speaker

Primary use is for audio. I only occasionally use it for movies / home theater. I'm not super-demanding (i.e. no need for high-end audio), just looking for decent sound.

I'm fine with the receiver, current satellites and the subwoofer. The bookshelves sound very good, but are a little bit big -- 10" x 10" x 16". In fact, ideally I'd rather not have the speakers be noticeable at all, though not at the expensive of irritating my neighbors. I'm in the corner apartment, so the only wall that has a neighbor is the one behind the media console. Budget is $500 - $750.

So, a couple of quick questions:

1) Will wall-mounting the speakers generate more noise for neighbors than using speaker stands?

2) Any recommendations on smaller speakers to replace the bookshelves, without losing a lot of midtone?

3) Any options to make the speakers highly unobtrusive?

4) Any other options that would work for a small room like this, e.g. some sort of sound bar?

Thanks

S3v

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Someone might chime in on in-walls. Although they might cause problems with the neighbors.

With your room size however, anything smaller might be a compromise if you want to turn it up a bit. I would look into either B&W 685s or Paradigm Mini Monitors.

·
Registered
720 Posts
JBL has a small 5.1 satellite package called the SCS 500.5 that sounds great especially for the size room you have. You can find it for $300+ ,retails around $600.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If size is a big issue you might want to look at the B&W CM1's. They are a bit smaller than the 685, but sound exceptional (IMHO
. They are a bit more expensive than your budget however.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Orb Audio, Mirage Nanosats, and Aperion 4Bs are my favorites for small speakers under $1,000. For a sub, I would combine any of these with something from HSU.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Polk Monitor series. CS1 center 99.00, Monitor 40s front 129.00pr or 30s front 109.00pr.(newegg.com)

Polk makes a killer sound bar also. I checked it out in Best Buy. Will buy it for the living room in the future. Try Yamaha for the sound bar, they have a model that has 40 micro drivers. Really cool looking.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqdx1 /forum/post/18284852

If size is a big issue you might want to look at the B&W CM1's. They are a bit smaller than the 685, but sound exceptional (IMHO
. They are a bit more expensive than your budget however.

B&W CM1 is a good choice (disclaimer, I never think B&W is a bad choice) - maybe even the 686, era D4s would be too and at budget, Energy RC10s are good for less dinero.

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts