AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good quality but not "high end expensive," small surround sound speaker system (L, R, C, surrounds). Budget is under $1000 total for all speakers. Any recommendations besides Bose brand? The surround speakers will need to be placed on stands.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
576 Posts
dschiller,

Right now there AR 215PS speakers are available for $60 or less per pair. Several people have indicated these are good entry level speakers, particularly when paired with a sub.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
dschiller,

In case your budget does not include a sub, and if you desire an accurate and neutral sound, I suggest you look at some Axiom combinations. For example, an excellent combination of the M22 bookshelf fronts, the VP150 center, and the QS4 "quadpole" surrounds will be US$1060. If you can get the Factory Outlet, the cost will be lower.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the Mirage AV500 system for my HT setup. Pretty similar to the better known Energy Take 5 setup with a 1" soft dome tweeter instead of the 3/4" metal tweeter and slightly different cabinet. As a result slightly smoother response. The system comes with a very nice 8" 100wt sub that HT magazine used to use as one of its reference subs. List is $800 but deals exist on the web. Tweeters is a large chain that carries Mirage.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
How about the Mirage Omnisats with the LF150 sub? It's a prefect combination.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The Athena Point 5 is under your price range, and has seen a ton of rave reviews...

Packages put together by any of the following manufacturers would be worth a demo - Paradigm, B&W, PSB, NHT, Dahlquist, Energy, Mirage.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry I didn't respond earlier with my thanks. In the Fall 2003 Crutchfield catalog, the Polk RM6700 (125W satellites, 100W 8" sub) system is advertised for $900 and the Infinity Entra Point Five (100-125W, 150W 10" sub) system is on sale for $600 (reg $900). Opinions? How would these systems compare against the Mirage or Athena Point 5? My dad needs small speakers mounted on speaker stands. Also, his center channel needs to be under 6-7" high (cabinet constraint).

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do yourself a favor and listen to as many speakers you can before you make a decision.

If I had to recommend a sepaker set to listen to then I would say check you Totem Acoustic's Dreamcatcher system, the price is a little above your limit but the sound is AMAZING and the size is excellent!

Dimensions for L, R, and surrounds are:

w 5 x d 7 x h 11.25â€

Center is:

w 21 x d 7 x h 5â€

These speakers are BEAUTIFUL looking and sound excellent, but again I encourage you to let your ears make the decision.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you need stand mounted surrounds, you might consider four Axiom M2i speakers, the VP50 center and the EP125 sub. You can buy a complete set including a sub for right around $1k, including shipping. If you don't need a sub, the VP100 or VP150 center could be included instead. I've never heard these, but they are highly recommended.

Byron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.