AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo receiver with SVS speakers (5.1, very happy with this set up). I am moving the speakers to a dedicated home theatre room and purchasing a new receiver for that room. I need a recommendation for a small 5.1 speaker system to function with my existing Onkyo Receiver TX-SR604. This setup will be in my living room and be primarily for watching TV and listening to music. Budget around $1000, any suggestions? Stuart

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I too like NHT…though if you like your SVS setup, continue with that brand. Used B&W or KEF is also possible for $1000

And yes, what does "Small" mean? Are these going in shelves, and if so what are the dimensional limitations? Pictures?

If they are going on stands, why not use towers instead?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
The SVS Prime Satellites are pretty small, and would be a good choice. The NHT SuperZero 2.1 would be another good option, they are $99 each, and the center is $199; $600 for the 5.0. That leaves you $400 left for a sub, maybe try and stretch for a SVS SB-1000 if you need something compact.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
I have an Onkyo receiver with SVS speakers (5.1, very happy with this set up). I am moving the speakers to a dedicated home theatre room and purchasing a new receiver for that room. I need a recommendation for a small 5.1 speaker system to function with my existing Onkyo Receiver TX-SR604. This setup will be in my living room and be primarily for watching TV and listening to music. Budget around $1000, any suggestions? Stuart
Just get the SVS satellite package for $1000 delivered. That or the SZ is about the smallest you can go without compromising the sound in some way.

Another option that uses a slim center channel if you need that is the Polk TL3, but it's around $750 list for just the speakers- no sub.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I haven't heard it, but I like the Paradigm speakers that I've heard, so the Paradigm Cinema 100 CT may be worth a look ($999).

I'd also throw in Definitive Technology Procinema series: ProMonitor 1000s for the fronts, ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 800s for rears and get a sub like the Bic F12. You can often find the Def Techs on sale/open box/refurbished (otherwise, overpriced and out of your budget); check out bajawaverunner's store on eBay, as he is basically an authorized refurb dealer for Def Tech, and has a great seller rating. I had the Def Techs and was pretty happy with them, and they are easy to place, since they aren't rear ported and have key hole mounts if you need to wall mount.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can get the SVS 5.1 Satellite package with the PB-1000 instead for another $50.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts