AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Living Room Surround Sound System Wanted however, speaker size is an issue (due to furniture, layout, and um... wife).

Interested in something good for movies (80%) and music (20%) with decent mid-tones and warmth.

Looking at getting:

Left/Right Speakers: Energy CB-5 (L/R)  (Must be screw mountable to Sanus stands, weight limit 4-lbs. The Energy CB-5's are 6.6-lbs. should be fine?)

Frequency: 71Hz - 20kHz

Center Speaker: Energy CC-5 (Must be under 18" wide.) 

Frequency: 65Hz - 20kHz

Subwoofer: Energy ESW-8 (Wanting to keep it near 12"x12"x12")

Set Crossover to 80Hz?

Rear Speaker: Polk Audio OWM3 (due to size and cost)

Frequency: 80Hz - 25kHz

Other Options:

1. Definitive ProCinema 600 (How can such a small system's satellites carry a frequency of 55Hz-33kHz?)

2. Polk Audio OWM3 for all 4 speakers and a center speaker to match (which one?)

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
What is the size of the room that you are going to set up this speaker set? Is it open or closed off?
I ask that because even though a small subwoofer in size is visually appealing it will be lacking in bass and sound.

If a speaker mount as a 4lb max don't expect it to hold a speaker that is 2.6lbs above its limit.

The Polk OWM3 actually would require a 100hz crossover as it is -3db at 100hz. It may produce sound at 80hz just not enough.

The center for that could be a single OWM3 speaker or use a center like the Polk CS10 or CS1

Some other small speakers(you might consider them small but they are small) to look at which are really good and can easily handle a 80hz crossover are Cambridge S30 book shelf speakers

BTWs, With the Def Tech ProCinema 600 actually recommends a 150hz crossover for their speakers. So Def Tech frequency performance of their speakers is quite a laugh

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Could also look at the NHT Super Zero 2.1, they are compact and look nice, but also sound great. You would likely need a 100-120Hz crossover, but they are still a bit too heavy. You may want to consider upgrading your speaker mount to give you more options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's an open plan, but for some reason - due to hard wood floors or the fact that all the speakers are placed just right to the couch, it seems to be pretty easy to set up acoustically.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1522005/small-speaker-setup-with-80hz-crossover#post_24467802

It's an open plan, but for some reason - due to hard wood floors or the fact that all the speakers are placed just right to the couch, it seems to be pretty easy to set up acoustically.
The issue lies with subwoofer still. The Bass waves will not stay just in close proximity to seating area. I am not trying to convincing you to have a bigger 5.0 speaker set as you have selected a great set. Its the "0.1 / Subwoofer"

Bass waves are not confined, if their is an open space they will be going there.

You buy a subwoofer for the full open space, not just the listening area

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1522005/small-speaker-setup-with-80hz-crossover#post_24468111

So, something like the BIC America F12?
That is a better option yes. But all I know about your room is that its open

So you have any length x width x ceiling height measurements. That gives a better idea on what subwoofer is worth it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

L x W x H

19' x 17' x 9'

couch located in middle (split living room) with surround sound speaker mounts located right behind couch 1' from ceiling. Room has open hallway in front right and open rear right to kitchen/dining areas. 

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Your room is just under 3,000 cu. ft so the Bic F12 should work for you.

Keep in mind you want the speakers to have the tweeters as closed to seated ear level to get the best sound. Why I don't see the issue with surrounds too much. I just want to make sure your fronts are positioned correctly

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I don't put much focus on rear speakers away (given the amount of noise that actually comes out during movies - which for me is mostly drama).

Noticed local store has Klipsch Quintet V on sale for $299

How would they do and could I group them with Klipsch SW-350 or BIC F12? 

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1522005/small-speaker-setup-with-80hz-crossover#post_24468582

I don't put much focus on rear speakers away (given the amount of noise that actually comes out during movies - which for me is mostly drama).

Noticed local store has Klipsch Quintet V on sale for $299

How would they do and could I group them with Klipsch SW-350 or BIC F12? 
Those speakers don't close to 80hz crossover you would need to run a crossover from 120-150hz with those Quntet's

Between the two the F12 is the better choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast  /t/1522005/small-speaker-setup-with-80hz-crossover#post_24468668

If you can go to 13x13x13 (and have the funds), this would be dramatically better:
http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials/sb-1000-outlet-ba#.Ux9QNz9dVIE
This would be amazing if it fits into your budget

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Okay, so bookshelf speakers and anything weighting over 5 lbs is out of the question..... strictly home theatre in a box type stuff.

Klipsch Quintet (newest version) and SVS 1000 ran through a Yamaha RX-V371 would be a decent system. ($849)

or

Definitive ProCinema 600 ($800)

or

Bose (just kidding)

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
If you must have a life style system ( and it seems you must) then this would be a step up from the Klipsch
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TL350/Polk-Audio-Blackstone-TL350.html It costs quite a bit more but you're getting a much nicer tweeter. They reviewed well in sound and vision.

Also I would take a look at system built around these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_779MINX21B/Cambridge-Audio-Minx-Min-21-Black.html Again, pretty expensive, but from the user reviews they are worth it for keeping in the lifestyle type speaker.

The next step up would be a system built around these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091BIRDB/Focal-Bird-Black.html Another step up in price, sound and quality.

And get a good sub- SB or PB1000 at a minimum.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1522005/small-speaker-setup-with-80hz-crossover#post_24469292

Okay, so bookshelf speakers and anything weighting over 5 lbs is out of the question..... strictly home theatre in a box type stuff.

Klipsch Quintet (newest version) and SVS 1000 ran through a Yamaha RX-V371 would be a decent system. ($849)

or

or

Bose (just kidding)
If you want a music system I'd look for better fronts than the TL2's. They are more for TV. The RTi's or even a Klipsch KB15 from best buy would be better for music. The KB15 was on sale for $100 a pair last summer but it can't be wall mounted and doesn't sound as clear as the RTi. Also, the TL2's don't match the RTi's either for centers or surrounds. I have a pair of TL2's that haven't been used much because I was going to use them as surrounds but couldn't put them in the same system because they sound so different.

It sounds like you want at least a 4" or 5" speaker in the front instead of the 3" to get the crossover down where you want it. In some cases a 3.1 system might be better than a 5.1 system.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA86  /t/1522005/small-speaker-setup-with-80hz-crossover#post_24469292

or

or

Bose (just kidding)
So you given up on speakers with an 80hz crossover?

As from a guy that came from Satelite speakers which needed a 120hz crossover don't do it!!!!

Get other speaker mounts.

But the best out of the 3 you choose is the Klipsch and that is simply due to the subwoofer

·
Registered
19,825 Posts

Quote:

or

Neither one

The Focal Sib meets your weight requirements - and has a 5" woofer >

And, is smaller than a regular bookshelf speaker.

You want good sound?
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalsibprblk/focal-sib-5-2-way-satellite-loudspeakers-pair-gloss-black/1.html#!specifications

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The B&W M1's go down to 64hz +-3db and are about the same size as the focals. I am selling my set of 5 that I just got over the summer. I recently upgraded to floor standing arx speakers. They are in perfect condition will all the mounts and stands if you are interested. Message me if you are. They are the newest version of the M1.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts