AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a 5.1 or 7.1 system in our main living area and will be forced to work with relatively small speakers for fronts, center and surrounds. We have a very open floor plan, wood floors and 9' ceilings, so I'm not expecting a perfect Home Theatre experience. But I'd like to create a decent movie watching and music listening experience.

I'm wondering how much the right subwoofer can compensate for using small front/center speakers (like Energy Mini's or Mythos Gems). Am I dreaming if I think I can get a big, full sound in an open room with small speakers if I marry them with a phenomenal sub?

If so, any suggestions?

-T

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The sub will be what makes or breaks your set up with what you are working with. And that is just my opinion from personal experience.

I have a Polk Sound Bar and an older Velodyne 500w 12" sub running off of my trusty old Denon AVR-4802. It rocks the house! Movies and music sound great.

I had to go small with the sound bar because the room just looked to cluttered with all of the speakers. Wife is very happy now too with the look and the sound. And it does sound pretty darn good. It is not true surround, but handles everything I have thrown at it. I can hear all of the details in movies and music that my other HT $ystem produces.

Yes, spend the money on a good sub. Check out the SVS stuff. I have one of their PC13-Ultras in my basement HT. Man can they make some subs. Worth a look in my book. And my old Velodyne isn't to bad either. They both drive the dogs nuts!

Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you have to cross over at a frequency higher than 80 hz then it becomes more important to have the sub right next to the TV. But otherwise, IMO, you can have a nice lively full sounding HT with the setup that you describe. Certainly many around here push higher SPL's than what that system would be capable of doing cleanly but you'll be able to get quite loud, cleanly.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
The sensitivity of the speaker is more important than the size of the enclosure, especially above 120 Hz. A huge speaker and a small speaker could have the same 6.5" midrange and the same 1" dome tweeter, with the same sensitivity. The only difference would be the big speaker would have more bass extension. Sensitive sats with a good woofer can pin you to the wall. M&K did it for decades.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/15585491

The sensitivity of the speaker is more important than the size of the enclosure, especially above 120 Hz. A huge speaker and a small speaker could have the same 6.5" midrange and the same 1" dome tweeter, with the same sensitivity. The only difference would be the big speaker would have more bass extension. Sensitive sats with a good woofer can pin you to the wall. M&K did it for decades.

This is what I'm hoping for.

PS; KEF iQ1's and iQ3's on sale everywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts