AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace a pair of desktop PC speakers with something real (I've got an inexpensive receiver in there now to drive them). I'm looking for something with a footprint about 8" or less on a side and about a foot tall or less. The main thing I'm looking for in them is very clear, detailed and articulate sound. Bass response (obviously) isn't very important for these as I can easily add a sub to the setup if I feel the need. Are there possibly any planar/magnetic ribbon designs out there that would fit the space (I know Magnepans fit my description and can be had for reasonable prices, but they're all pretty big, more suited for the living room if I can ever save up the scratch for them)? My budget for the pair would be

·
Registered
374 Posts
The obvious candidate are the Monsoon series - the M-1000 and M-700 use planar magnetic panels coupled to a dynamic woofer. They are based on technology from Eminent technologies. These are 'PC' speakers, though - self-powered with 1/8" mini-plugs, and so aren't really suited to being driven by a receiver. If you had a variable pre-out on the receiver, it might be worth a shot, though. Price should be within your budget. (I have a couple sets of the M-1000, and find them great for nearfield PC use)

Eminent technologies sells (or at least used to) a higher-end setup designed to be driven by a conventional amp/receiver, but it's out of your price range - $700 or so sticks in my mind but it's been a while since I looked at them.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still gives me at least a couple spots to start poking about. I've been wondering about the Monsoon Planar Media 14s. Since the control pod for those isn't integrated, do you think they could be driven by a receiver? I'm hoping to find them on display somewhere locally so I can check the connections, but I was under the impression that planars had low impedence ratings and may cause difficulties in driving them with standard gear.

Kensai

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have the Monsoon PlanarMedia9's in my office at work. They are pretty amazing. I actually have a soundstage in front of my monitor.

Just like 'real' planar speakers, they are placement critical. You must be able to have them at least .5" in front of your monitor, angled in toward you.

I have been happy with them. I can listen to them all day and not get fatigued. I could only listen to 'real' computer speakers for a hour and they would start to bother me.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin,

I should be able to accomodate that placement, no problem. How are the speaks connected? Are they hardwired to their speaker cable? I can probably get around that too, with a little creativity if need be, but would rather be able to just build a solid 2 wire - to - whatever jack the speakers use assembly.

Any thoughts on the ability to drive them with a standard receiver rated for 100watts per channel? I'm figuring that these panels are 4ohm rated, so I could theoretically get 50watts driven to them at that load (probably closer to 30-35 in real life), and since the 14s claim just 25watts driving each channel, this should be sufficient. Or, am I wrong headed in this reasoning?

Kensai

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The speakers are connected to the subwoofer, which is connected to the soundcard via a miniplug.

The speakers connect to the sub via RCA connectors. I'm not sure if it would be safe to run them directly into a receiver, as they are probably crossed over by the sub.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right. I would have to set them for Small on my receiver and then make sure the crossover is set for 200Hz (I'm sure these smaller panels don't really go any further down than that, right?).

Kensai

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.