AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I am finally finishing up my structured wiring in my house, been hell and just want to finish the damn thing off.

I have one last issue here at end of day.

Everything I read is adamantly against in wall speakers and if you want good ones you have to pay for it.

I am looking at 2 things.

Speakers for basic stereo sound in majority of rooms for music etc run through a russsound multiroom system via pc, connected to harmony remote etc bla bla. Then i have 2 rooms in which i would like to have some half decent 5.1 or 7.1, I would like to wire up all in the house with the same speakers and the smallest footprint and given that I will have to buy so [email protected]#^ing many (26), to keep the price per unit as low as possible, and are subs necessary.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
95 Posts
Finding in-wall or on-wall speakers to listen to in a demo is hard. I've just gone through the exercise. I am dismayed at what I had to spend, but expect to be happy with the results once everything is installed.

The only speaker for inwall or onwall installation I can think of that MIGHT work without a sub is the Martin Logan Voyage. They are $2k apiece. That does not appear to work with your parameters of modest cost.

FWIW, I am installing ML Voyages for front right and left, ML Passage for center, and Tickets for rear. With a ML Grotto for the sub.

There are a number of "pretty good" inwalls in the $500 range, but you will miss the sub in any critical listening or theatre use.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I am going to assume you can use "in room" subwoofer enclosures and that you do not require the sub to be in-wall as well. If this is the case, then in your rooms set up for 5.1 surround sound, any good quality brand of in-wall speakers should work fine along with a subwoofer for the .1 LFE channel.

ML's have been mentioned, but I don't think you really need to spec your speakers to work without a sub. Even in the "occasional rooms", where the sound will be ambient/background, speakers reaching down to 60 hz or so will sound good. In the full surround sound rooms they will work very well with a subwoofer.

Polk, Klipsch, Definative Technology, Triad and many others produce excellent in-wall systems....some even make in-wall subs (but having never worked with one, I can't imagine it working as well as a separate in-room sub).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts