AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First thread here in a while. The RL-P18 is blown, trying to get rid of the Box and driver for $200 still. I'm not so into the Below 10hz stuff anymore, I'd rather have something small and musical. Life Style is changing, and these things change with it
. By the way, if anyone is in Orange County and wants the dang thing, please, take it!

Alright, so here's the dilemma. A JL 13W7 has been offered to me for $250 with a sealed enclosure. 5 Cu ft internal volume. I honestly can't think of a better alternative. The 13W7s go for around $300 around here, so even assuming I cannot get the $250 deal, would the 13W7 be a high sound quality driver that can go a tad low with some EQ? I just can't find any threads for the 13W7 in a small sealed application.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I wouldn't buy a subwoofer just because its a "deal" Is it a car box or a HT box?

Also what are you going to power that sucker with?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
JL 13W7 for $250 ! That is great deal, I would check if it is in perfect working order before,some deals are not so great after inspection and test.

Worst case you have a 13W7 driver and have to build a box,building a compact sealed box is a child's play.So you can always build a box if the one that comes with the driver is not ideal (looks or volume).

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just a sealed 4 cu ft box. I'm not sure if he intended to use it for HT or car, but that doesn't change internal volume.

I have an amp similar to a EP2500.

Arthur,

SQ wise, do you think it would be a fine sub for my uses?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
SQ with the JL driver in asealed box will be at the very least very good.A low SQ sub using a 13W7...can only be the work of the most incompetent DIY person on this planet.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym /forum/post/14185327

Where do get 13W7's for $300 nevermind $250?

I'd run 4 of them for that price.

Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
what happened to your RLP18?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I believe his "Friends" fried the voice coil.

And there is no re-cone available, unless you wait for the restructuring/resurrection/the second coming of TC Sounds.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, Dan got it right.

Emailed Soundsplinter a couple times, no response ever.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
damn! good thing i didn't push through buying from soundsplinter

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Ya I almost bought 2 18" from SoundSplinter...too bad nice drivers. I run a 12w7 in a sealed box and if I could have found 3 more for that much I would have done it in a heart beat awesome sounding subs but do require alot of power I run a Crown XTI 4000watts to mine.

Nate

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit /forum/post/14188194

damn! good thing i didn't push through buying from soundsplinter

Why? SS sells good stuff and they stand by it.

Spezzy - I've heard Mike takes care of people, so don't give up.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
spezzy said there was no reply to his emails.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit /forum/post/14193934

spezzy said there was no reply to his emails.

Yeah...I read that part. Thats why I said don't give up. Its not as if Mike would read them and simply not respond. He obviously hasn't read them yet, for whatever reason. I wish he provided a phone number.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Sound Splinter not responding...strange.Each time I had great service from Sound Splinter.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sent a third email earlier today and actually got a response. $280+shipping to get it fixed..

Could I use it in a smallish sealed sub? Might just keep the driver and sell the enclosure for $200.. maybe even see if I could use the wood from it.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy /forum/post/14201532

Sent a third email earlier today and actually got a response. $280+shipping to get it fixed..

Could I use it in a smallish sealed sub? Might just keep the driver and sell the enclosure for $200.. maybe even see if I could use the wood from it.

If 6-8 ft^3 is smallish sealed then yes. -_-

1 - 20 of 70 Posts