AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small Sub Amp Help!!

Hi Guys,

Ok guys I'm kind of new to the DIY stuff , just built my first pair of Volts a few weeks ago and very happy with the results, so now I'm looking for a small sub for my home office , I'm considering a 10" or 8" since it's a small space , leaning towards the 10" , thinking about going with a 10" Dayton or maybe an 8 "Eminence in both cases with one of the Erich Flat Packs,where I'm lost is with the amp selection , I want to keep it as cheap as possible since this will be for a secondary setup and won't be listened at very loud levels.

I'd rather go with an external amp than with a plate amp , the cheaper Dayton plate amps seems like a nice solution but having the amp in the rack sounds like a great idea to me , also I've read mixed reviews about the Dayton smaller plate amps.

So which options you guys recommend , also might sound stupid but how is connection diagram when using one of those external amps, the only one I've seen that has an LFE input is the HTD, It'll be connected to the LFE output from an AVR.

TIA for your help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

Thinking about the Inuke NU1000 And Dayton 10" sealed.

I just need to figure out the wiring with the Inuke Amp.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
rca out from source, to either a 1/4 inch TS (as in mono, NOT TRS) or an XLR adapter to the inuke input. Output uses a speakon connector, which is very simple to wire and assemble, and uses normal speaker wire. The end at the sub can be whatever you like.

Joseph

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anybody?

Thinking about the Inuke NU1000 And Dayton 10" sealed.

I just need to figure out the wiring with the Inuke Amp.

TIA.
With "pro amps" like the Inuke you'll have this setup:

AVR > Inuke = RCA Male to XLR male Cable
This Monoprice cable is an example. You can find more on Amazon or PE.
Inuke > subwoofer = Speakon to (speakon/banana/bare wire/?/*)
You could just buy some wire, get some Speakon connectors and whatever you decide to terminate the other end and build your own. You could also just get a Speakon cable, cut one end off, and terminate the bare end with your choice of connector. Just be sure it matches up with whatever you have on the subwoofer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, sounds good, I'll just put some binding posts on the Subwoofer , now I understand sounds pretty easy , just wanted to make sure I got it right.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you plan on getting the inuke you will want to replace the fan and possibly use a zalman fanmate fan controller
Ok thanks for the tip, is there another good option in that price range?I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys , before I pull the trigger I'm looking at the Bundles from PE ,Dayton sub+ Denovo(Erich cabinets), trying to decide between 10" reference,12" reference or 10" Ultimax, Space is small 12x10 and it will be paired with a set of Ascend Bookshelfs,80% music ,Any thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
With bass you go as big as you can afford, more than 1 sub is ideal to smooth out the bass in the room due to room modes.

If you can only fit one sub, i would recommend you grab a copy of rew and use the room sim feature to see where your sub would yield the best results based on where you'll sit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With "pro amps" like the Inuke you'll have this setup:

AVR > Inuke = RCA Male to XLR male Cable
This Monoprice cable is an example. You can find more on Amazon or PE.
Inuke > subwoofer = Speakon to (speakon/banana/bare wire/?/*)
You could just buy some wire, get some Speakon connectors and whatever you decide to terminate the other end and build your own. You could also just get a Speakon cable, cut one end off, and terminate the bare end with your choice of connector. Just be sure it matches up with whatever you have on the subwoofer.

so can you tell me if you need art clean box pro if you use a inuke too

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Probably not. The input sensitivity on the inuke is .775v. you can see what your avr puts out by disconnecting your other speakers and playing a 60hz sin wave and connecting a multimeter to measure voltage on your sub cable. If you can crank it and voltage does not go higher than .775v you may need a cleanbox. Your avr most likely puts out much more than .775v.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts