AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum and gained some insight, but I am still having a difficult time finding the right sub for my application. Here's what I have for my 5.1 system so far:

Onkyo TX-NR535
Polk tsx220b r/l
Polk cs10 center
No surrounds as of yet

the room is 16' by 16' with 7 1/2 ' ceiling.

I listen to movies 80% more than music.

I have children directly upstairs and I tend to watch movies while they sleep, so power output and 20hz response is not paramount to me. Low volume sound quality is more what i'm interested in. I'm looking to spend around 200$ and the closest thing I found was the BIC F12. It looks like a good sub for the money, but seeing as I only have space for it in a corner, it will probably be too boomy. I would be happy with a smaller 10 sealed sub, I cant seem to find one in my price range with decent reviews. Any recomendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
First, 1,920 cu. ft. is considered a medium size room, not a small room. Second, kids will learn to sleep through any loudness level. It just takes a little time. Third, a $200 budget won't get you very far in the subwoofer world, and having only one location to place a sub could mean you may be better off without one. It is the subwoofer, and not you, that will determine its proper location.

The Pioneer is as good as any budget sub. For equal performance and less money, you might be better off with the Dayton SUB-1200. But again, a sub must be placed where it belongs and not where you think it belongs, or don't bother.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right, the room is not that small, it's just filled with a lot of things so space is at a premium.

I agree that I'm not going to get to much for 200$ but we all have to start somewhere. If the Dayton is more forgiving with placement it might work.

There is a second more open spot I could plant the sub but it's 5 ft away from the left edge of my 50", so it my might not be ideal. I will have to experiment.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Time to clear out your room ;). Whatever sub you decide to buy, make sure you can return it free of charge (such as Amazon). Allow that sub some time to break in (depending upon the manufacturer this could be a few hours or a few days -- my BIC sub took over two weeks before putting out significant SPL). The first thing you'll need to do once the sub is broken in is place the subwoofer on top of your listening position (chair or couch) and do a subwoofer crawl test. Play music or a movie with a sustained low frequencies (War of the World's emergence scene might be good) and crawl around the parameter of your room. Where you hear the smoothest bass (without bloated peaks or dips where there is little or no bass) is where the subwoofer should be place. One can also try near-field locations (next to the seating position). If you find a great spot and can place it there, you are in. If not, return it. It doesn't matter which sub you buy, the process and results will be the same for any subwoofer. Again, good luck!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have owned the F12- Bic PL200 and the Dayton sub1200

If you can move up to the PL200, I recommend doing so it is a very solid performer. If not the Dayton Sub1200 IMO was better overall performer for my room, not by much though so I would go with whichever gives you the best price/return policy. If you want more output there is also the Dayton Sub1500 right at $200.

If I was buying a 200$ subwoofer today I would go for the SUB1500 after having owned the 1200 and F12.

GL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My ultimate goal is tight well defined bass at lower volumes, so more headroom is not that important to me.

I'm leaning more towards the NXG bas-500. From what I gather its not to boomy and decent with music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts