AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been through enough of the threads to learn that more sound requires more air movement which requires a larger sub, but how much do I really need?

Speaking strictly about music, I listen to mostly acoustic jazz, with acoustic bass, which I was always led to understand is mostly mid-bass anyway. (That could be wrong, I suppose.) I listen in a small room, approximately 1000 cubic feet, at low to moderate volume.

Can I get away with a smaller (read, inexpensive) sub of 8-10 inches, for example the HSU STF-1?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you don't crank it up loud then you won't need a monster subwoofer, but consider this:

A car with a 2.0 four-pot engine doing 70mph will be working harder than a 5.0 V8 doing 70mph.

You may, therefore, wish to 'over-specify' your sub so that it doesn't have to work hard - this will mean it plays cleaner

If you mainly listen to music and like a 'tight' sound, a sealed sub of some kind is probably most likely to suit your requirements, as I understand it. What's your budget?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 107  /t/1472123/small-subwoofer-enough#post_23298822

Been through enough of the threads to learn that more sound requires more air movement which requires a larger sub, but how much do I really need?
Tops crossed over at 100Hz reproduce wavelengths up to 11 feet long, subs that go to only 30Hz reproduce wavelengths up to 38 feet long. That same ratio applies to how large and powerful a sub must be to keep up with the mains, so a simple rule of thumb is that the total cabinet volume of the subs must be at least twice that of the mains, and the total power of the sub amps at least twice that of the mains. If you want to go down another octave to 15Hz double those figures again.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Regardless of what size driver you decide to go with, make sure you buy at least two subwoofers.

Multiple subs provide smoother bass response, from seat to seat and help with the problem of standing waves in your room.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 107  /t/1472123/small-subwoofer-enough#post_23298822

Any thoughts are appreciated.

If only listening to music, yes, the little subwoofers will do what you want. If an extremophile, then no, small subwoofers won't get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1472123/small-subwoofer-enough#post_23303730

If only listening to music, yes, the little subwoofers will do what you want. If an extremophile, then no, small subwoofers won't get you where you want to go.

No, not an extremophile, although it sounds like it could be fun. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts

Quote:
Speaking strictly about music, I listen to mostly acoustic jazz, with acoustic bass ... I listen in a small room, approximately 1000 cubic feet, at low to moderate volume.

Can I get away with a smaller (read, inexpensive) sub of 8-10 inches, for example the HSU STF-1?
Yes. And +1 to the SVS SB-1000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts