AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of folks here are proponents of HSU ans SVS subwoofers and they are highly recommended. But, can anyone make recommendations for a physically small subwoofer? Something the size of the Sunfire True, REL Q Series or the ACI Force?

Thanks

~Glenn

· Registered
1,899 Posts
I've got a Sunfire MKIV and it is a good sub for a smaller room where WAF is more important than getting the best sound. The MKIV sounds good to great until you push it to the limits.

Check your PMs.

Sorny

· Registered
344 Posts
I loved my ACI Force so much I bought a second. This is one high-quality piece of bass equipment. Goes real low, with authority and totally disappears into my system. I'm not kidding, I like the quality of bass I get from my Force subs better than what I was able to get with the Watt-Puppy 5s! And yes, I've used REL subs in the past as well.

· Registered
350 Posts
The Force is a fantastic sub. I don't think you can do better for overall quality and sonics anywhere near that price point. Good looking besides, with a number of wood finish options. ACI also has one of the best warranties in the biz, which I think is important with powered subs.

· Registered
758 Posts
The James Loudspeaker EMB-1000 has received rave reviews, but I have never auditioned one so I cant comment.

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/page...b/emb1000.html

(there are links to the reviews in PDF format on that page)

Its pretty darn small at 12x12x14. List on it is $1495

· Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
I know a lot of folks here are proponents of HSU ans SVS subwoofers and they are highly recommended. But, can anyone make recommendations for a physically small subwoofer? Something the size of the Sunfire True, REL Q Series or the ACI Force?
Could you give a budget?

If I had to choose a small sub, I'd look into the Velodyne SPL or HGS subwoofers.

Quote:
The SVS PB1-ISD isn't that large of a sub, and I would expect it to sound as good or better than one of the SVS PCi series subs.
I know that after a little time large equipment it tends not to look so large any more, but are you a giant or something?

· Registered
1,505 Posts
I have the Sunfire MKII (older version of the IV) and it is awesome. Since I just built my HT that ws the first sub I have used in it. But I did audition other units, and for its size, nothing could touch it. I love it.

Other audiophile types here might say it lacks the punch, or range, but I push it pretty hard with movies and it I have never had any problems with it. You can see pics of it in my HT at the link in my sig.

Good luck,

E. J.

FYI - I bought it for about $700 on Audiogon while a new one lists for $1200 or so. Perfect condition, no problems.

· Registered
859 Posts
There's only one small sub that impressed me so far.a LINN 8 incher. damned that was very impressive. Very very detailed and tight bss. only problem is that it doesn't have the extra 'oomph' of the lower octaves. the 10 incher solves the problem, though! its 1000 usd for the 8", 1700 for the 10"

seizmik, i believe is what theyre called. Did i mention they were very musical? Not recommended for Home Theater use, though!

· Registered
452 Posts
I'd look into the Velodyne SPL series. I recently saw an open box SPL1200 at onecall.com for around $850. It compares very well to other high priced competitors. Tom Nousaine tested it using his method of averaging the distortion limited(10%) output at 25, 31, 40, 50, 63hz in the best corner of his room at 2m. You can see how it compares to other subs he's tested using the same method by clicking below.

Nousaine list

· Registered
1,385 Posts
I want to get some DIY mains (w/separate amps e.g. "bi-amped") down to 20-25Hz - maybe 2 12" Rava sealed subs - good for HT too... It's in a class of "small" sub's I'm looking for. $399 - http://www.adireaudio.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=10.30 - or do a DIY version and use my own amp/crossovers…

In planning a DIY 18" Maelstrom driver sealed active sub (Q .707) with passive 18dB/octave total low pass crossover @ 40-50Hz (as much as 24dB down at 100Hz)... Add a subsonic 6dB filter for 18dB/octave 16Hz high pass passive crossover. Sub runs 16Hz to 40/50Hz crossed, mains are still run straight signal path from amplifier(s). Corner placement gives sub a free 10dB gain below 60Hz too… ;)

· Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nhparrot

$1000 or less would be ideal. Depending on what I can find, I will then decide if the cost should override the physical size issue.
You mentioned Sunfire subs, as the size you are looking for. But if you also like Sunfires subs themselves, you can easily find them for that price range and lower. And with b-stocks, even lower yet.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fabulousfrankie
Corner gain does provide the most output but I think that number is a little optimistic.
You're correct, an SPL meter would tell precisely.;) Also the gain is in phase (driver is within 1/8th frequency wavelength distance from wall). 60Hz is the "phase cutoff" at 2.32' distance as an example.

Between 1/8th and 1/6th wavelength summed sound pressure is the same. At 1/6th wavelength or greater summed sound pressure is weaker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.