AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a corner TV setup & older 5.1 setup which includes:
  • 2 Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II satellites w/passive subwoofer which sounds pretty thin and don't match the center
  • Cambridge Soundworks CenterStage center channel which I really enjoy
  • 2 Cambridge Soundworks "The Surround 5.1" dipole/bipole speakers
  • Polk PSW110 subwoofer
  • Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver

The forum has made great suggestions for upgrading the subwoofer which I will be doing (SVS, most likely)

I use my setup 95% for DVD/Blu-Ray movies/TV/Netflix

My room is 11'W x 23'L x 7'H (1800 cu ft) with a 4 ft doorway and my TV is in the corner of the room (doorway is on the left as you look at the photo).

I am limited in the size of the L & R main speakers due to the space in the corner next to the TV (see attached photo).  The CSW satellites are 8"H x 5"W x 4.25"D.  I am not limited in height and probably can't go more than 6"D nor 7"W for those two.

The Center speaker I have is quite large and it is in a cabinet directly under the TV so can fit pretty much any size in reason up to 9" H or so and 25" W.

Budget is up to $1000 for the front three.  I was considering the DefTech ProCinema 800s or 1000s based on comments here and elsewhere but wanted to see if folks could point me in other directions.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
How about the Cambridge S30's? ( http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs30blk/cambridge-audio-s30-4-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/1.html?gclid=COH8tIjnsr0CFewDOgodZ1QASQ )

With a Cambridge S50 Center. ( http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs50blk/cambridge-audio-s50-4-3-way-center-channel-speaker-black/1.html )

They will outperform the Def Tech's you are looking at.

What your proposed setup is is just an lateral move not an upgrade the S30's and S50's would be an upgrade

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, the Cambridge S30s appear too deep at 9+ inches. The Mythos Two is intriguing and starts me thinking about skinny towers...

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I think the NHT Absolute Zero would work well for you here: http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Zero-Black?sc=12&category=3772

They are a sealed design so you can put them just about anywhere, and also fit your size restrictions. I really enjoy my Super Zeros, and the bigger AZs will sound even better. You can pair that with the Absolute Center and have the whole front sound stage for $800.

NHT also has a 30 day risk-free trial and does pay return shipping!

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
Seconded. Those Mythos are a steal at that price (must be some sort of introductory deal). Get three, sell the Ensembles and the center channel and put the few dollars you get towards the sub. Actually, given the relative distances between the fronts, you may just be able to skip the center altogether. More money for the sub!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rmailed NHT and they replied suggesting SuperZero or Absolutes but specifically recommended against the on-wall absolutes due to the angle of placement.

From reviews here and elsewhere on-wall models appear to be designed for (and perform best when) they are (surprise!) wall-mounted. Something about using the wall itself augmenting the sound...

So, seems like you folks have helped me to narrow to NHT AZ/SZ or the DefTech Mythos Two.

The Mythos have significantly smaller drivers (4.5" listed but a reviewer measured them at 3.5" FWIW) and generally reviewers feel their lower end to be lacking. The AZs are less attractive but reportedly have a wider accurate range.

Time to find a way to listen to them - thanks to all for your input and if anyone has other ideas, keep 'em coming!

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I have those same Cambridge Soundworks speakers! Those passive subs they came with were crap, one of mine buzzed so I threw them out when I moved recently but still have the others; right now am using only the center in a 3.1 setup in the garage

I like the Ascend Acoustics speakers; the HTM200SE is a sealed unit and could be placed where you need and believe size would be okay for you. I use my 200SEs as rear surrounds right now. I think the 170SE might be a bit fat for you and its front ported but they''re priced similarly (I use mine as surrounds, Sierra-1s as L/C/R). I've used the 170SE and 200SE as L/C/R also in the past and should work well in your size room. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/spkrlist.html

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreek  /t/1524459/smaller-front-speakers-g...ace-csw-ensemble-ii-centerstage#post_24554735

I rmailed NHT and they replied suggesting SuperZero or Absolutes but specifically recommended against the on-wall absolutes due to the angle of placement.

From reviews here and elsewhere on-wall models appear to be designed for (and perform best when) they are (surprise!) wall-mounted. Something about using the wall itself augmenting the sound...

So, seems like you folks have helped me to narrow to NHT AZ/SZ or the DefTech Mythos Two.

The Mythos have significantly smaller drivers (4.5" listed but a reviewer measured them at 3.5" FWIW) and generally reviewers feel their lower end to be lacking. The AZs are less attractive but reportedly have a wider accurate range.

Time to find a way to listen to them - thanks to all for your input and if anyone has other ideas, keep 'em coming!

NHT has a no-risk 30 day trial, and they pay for return shipping. Crutchfield has a nice selection of DefTech and they have a 60 day return policy IIRC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts