AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a smaller subwoofer for a bedroom setup. The room is roughly 12 x 12 with 8 foot ceilings completely closed off to any other room.

Used for 50% movies/TV and 50% music. Since it's a bedroom, I don't require a ton of output; I just want something to complement the lower end of the Pioneer FS52's I have there (so it wouldn't have to a ton of work in the upper bass region either as I plan on crossing over around 60 Hz).

Budget is around $600, but prefer to spend less for a bang-for-the-buck sweet spot.

Since I 'am' looking for a smaller subwoofer, would a sealed sub be the way to go? Would I be missing any extra oomph that might be useful by not going with a ported sub for the money?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
A good sealed design will have surprising impact in a room your size. The obvious small sealed design (IMO) would be the SVS SB-1000. The advantage with SVS is that you can try it out for 45 days and if not happy, ship it back on SVS's dime. Just note that small, square rooms are often difficult to properly setup, but the subwoofer crawl test should show you the best places to locate your sub.

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Keep an eye on the SVS outlet for a SB12-NSD. They are very nice subs with a small form factor. Would be solid for a bedroom set up.

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
There is a new JL 8" coming out for 800 retail. It is pretty awesome!

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into them.

Another one I've found is the Outlaw M8: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html

Does anyone have an opinion on it? Would it have more output than something like the SB1000?
I used to own the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus and it was a very solid sub. However, I'm not a big fan of having both the driver and port(s) all down-firing. The port only having a couple of inches of breathing room can be even further hampered by carpeting. I found that my Outlaw, when pushed, would suffer port chuffing worse when sitting feet down on a wooden riser than it would if I turned it on it's side, ports/driver facing out like a front-firing sub.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into them.

Another one I've found is the Outlaw M8: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html

Does anyone have an opinion on it? Would it have more output than something like the SB1000?
The SVS has a few advantages. One, it uses a 12-inch driver vs. an 8-inch driver on the Outlaw. Two, since it is a sealed design it will take more advantage of cabin gain (ported subs will have a steeper rolloff). Three, its frequency specs indicate it goes deeper (which one would expect from a larger driver) and because of cabin gain, could easily approach the 20 Hz level or lower. And finally, SVS provides free shipping both ways, which allows you to test the sub for free before you decide to keep it or send it back (you'll be reimbursed for the cost of the sub in about 10 working days or less should you return it).

I don't see an SB12-NSD in the outlets right now (it varies from time to time) and it would be a very good deal if you can find one. However, I do see a few SB-1000s at the outlet store.

Your choice, of course.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The SVS has a few advantages. One, it uses a 12-inch driver vs. an 8-inch driver on the Outlaw. Two, since it is a sealed design it will take more advantage of cabin gain (ported subs will have a steeper rolloff). Three, its frequency specs indicate it goes deeper (which one would expect from a larger driver) and because of cabin gain, could easily approach the 20 Hz level or lower. And finally, SVS provides free shipping both ways, which allows you to test the sub for free before you decide to keep it or send it back (you'll be reimbursed for the cost of the sub in about 10 working days or less should you return it).

I don't see an SB12-NSD in the outlets right now (it varies from time to time) and it would be a very good deal if you can find one. However, I do see a few SB-1000s at the outlet store.

Your choice, of course.
Thank you. I'm in no rush so I'll keep on eye out on SVS outlet to see if an SB12-NSD shows up.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
This question has a no brainer answer. SVS SB-1000. It will go lower than anything else you are looking at is small, within budget.

I would be confident that it would walk all over that Outlaw m8 in your 1152cu. ft room.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
How big of an area are you using it in? Does it have that tactile feel for movies? What about its musicality?

The size and price certainly intrigue me, but I don't mind spending more if it means a good boost to performance.
My basement is 11x20 with 7 foot ceilings. Before I bought it I confirmed with Outlaw that it would pressurize my space. Definitely feel it for movies. Will shake my whole small house. Musicality? That's beyond me to define or describe.

Works perfectly for my space and budget which was smaller than yours.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
The Rythmik Audio L12 is coming out next month. It's a 14" cube sealed subwoofer with a 12" paper cone driver and a Hypex 300 watts amp. Price will be $549 with shipping included.

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
My basement is 11x20 with 7 foot ceilings. Before I bought it I confirmed with Outlaw that it would pressurize my space. Definitely feel it for movies. Will shake my whole small house. Musicality? That's beyond me to define or describe.

Works perfectly for my space and budget which was smaller than yours.
Outlaw actually told you the M8 would pressurize your room? :eek:

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
also consider the Hsu VTF -1 should work in a room that size.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
^ That is a great deal. Wow!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Looking for a smaller subwoofer for a bedroom setup. The room is roughly 12 x 12 with 8 foot ceilings completely closed off to any other room.

Used for 50% movies/TV and 50% music. Since it's a bedroom, I don't require a ton of output; I just want something to complement the lower end of the Pioneer FS52's I have there (so it wouldn't have to a ton of work in the upper bass region either as I plan on crossing over around 60 Hz).

Budget is around $600, but prefer to spend less for a bang-for-the-buck sweet spot.

Since I 'am' looking for a smaller subwoofer, would a sealed sub be the way to go? Would I be missing any extra oomph that might be useful by not going with a ported sub for the money?
I'm not sure what others have posted, I did not read all the posts...

I have a 12x12x8 bedroom - the same as you. Also, my first speakers was actually the FS52s and I still use them. +1 on your speaker choice -

My advise is to get dual subs. My 2nd subwoofer that I purchase for my bedroom was an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus (upgraded from a Dayton Audio SUB1000 - my first HT sub), which is a beast of a sub in our 1200 cu. ft. rooms (rounded). The problem I ran into was nulls. I had several nulls around the 40hz range (I don't have REW, so could never pinpoint) and the nulls fluctuated around those frequencies wherever I moved the sub. I also had incredibly boomy and muddy bass in some frequencies also. Heavy mid-bass tracks such as Flux Pavilion's I Can't Stop represented my case well. The sub itself made an unforgiving boomy and boxy sound from the sub itself.

My solution was ultimately to purchase another sub, which was an SVS PB1000. The vast majority of my issues were solved. No more boomy bass and the bass that was reproduced, was very smooth. However, the two subs, being from different manufacturers, still presented dips, but not any severe nulls. This is probably due to the different tuning points of the subs. My dips were in the lower frequencies, which is almost solved by adjusted the phase on the back of the PB1000 - it has a dial, compared to a 180 degree flip featured on the LFM-1 Plus. Though not near 100%, it is very much enjoyable at all frequencies. I am able to squeeze out noticeable output at 17hz on my PB1000 alone with the gain at 75% at -3dB. The two subs mix pretty well after given them some TLC.

I really urge you to go duals. On your budget, it might be hard to get below 23hz extension, but you can probably get close to 20hz given the "in-room" gain.

This was just my personal experience with a single sub in my square bedroom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts