AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the smallest 1080p LCD available? I'd love to find a 34" or smaller, but the smallest I can find is 40". Preferably from a well known company like Sony, Toshiba, Sharp, Samsung, etc...

And is every 1080p set guaranteed to have a full 1920x1080 res? Isn't it some sort of "rule"?

PS. I don't want a PC monitor....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know about other manufacturers (I'm sure some of them have smaller ones announced as well) but Sharp just announced a 32'' and 37'' at CES, not available yet, but will be in March. The 32'' has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio, and the 37'' has 8,500:1. They'll retail for $1,700 and $2,000 respectively (expect in store price to be a bit lower). They also have a "gaming mode" called VyperDrive which supposedly reduces input lag, we'll see.

I can't post url's, but go to gizmodo and type "sharp gp1u" into the search box.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
SHARP INTRODUCES FULL HD 1080P AQUOS LCD TVS OPTIMIZED FOR GAMING

Industry-Leading Game Reaction Speed, Pixel Response Time and Easy-Connect Side Terminals Appeal to Serious Gamers

LAS VEGAS, NV, January 8, 2007 -- Sharp today introduced the GP1U series of full HD 1080p AQUOS® Liquid Crystal Televisions (LCD TVs), created specifically for gamers, in widescreen 32- and 37-inch screen sizes. The 16:9 LCD TVs boast a new feature called Vyper Drive, which can handle the highest frame rates of even the most punishing video games.

The Vyper Drive feature reduces the lag time between the game console input and the TV display to imperceptible levels. A special Game Mode button on the remote control provides gamers quick access to the side terminal inputs, which are positioned for easy and convenient connection to a video game console and also activates Vyper Drive. The GP1U series' side-placed video terminals include a full array of connection options, including HDMI, component and composite input. The HDMI and component inputs are compatible with 1080p signals from today's most advanced video games.

Video games have always looked great on crystal-clear AQUOS LCD TVs, and we've taken that a step further with the new GP1U AQUOS series, providing specific features that truly enhance the overall experience for the next generation of game consoles, said Bob Scaglione, senior vice president and group manager, Product and Marketing Group, Sharp Electronics Corporation.

The GP1U series also packs all the features found on a traditional cutting-edge HDTV, including full HD 1080p resolution, thanks to the 1920 x 1080 Advanced Super View Panel with 4-wavelength backlight system, for deeper, more vivid reds. Dynamic Contrast Ratio is an impressive 10,000:1 on the 32-inch and 8500:1 on the 37-inch, so gamers will never miss a detail, even in the darkest scenes. Pixel response time of 6ms delivers smooth video playback in fast-moving sports and action sequences.

As with all HD AQUOS models, the GP1U sets come with built-in ATSC, QAM and NTSC tuners, offering compatibility with all available analog and digital over-the-air and cable TV programming. The robust palette of video inputs includes two sets of component inputs and three HDMI inputs that are compatible with 1080p signals from Blu-Ray and advanced gaming devices. A DVI-I terminal, also 1080p compatible, provides easy connectivity to a PC.

The LC-32GP1U and LC-37GP1U feature a wide viewing angle of 176 degrees, allowing viewers to get a full view of the screen even when sitting off to the side. Thanks to the high brightness rating (450 cd/m2) of the GP1U series, viewers experience a bright image whether in low-light or fully-lit settings. The long-life backlight system provides 60,000 viewing hours under normal viewing conditions, and the bottom-placed speaker design reduces the overall width of the TV for a better fit inside cabinets and armoires.

Pricing and availability:

The LC-32GP1U and LC-37GP1U will be available in March for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRPs) of $1,699.99 and $1,999.99, respectively.

____________________________________________________________ _

i hope you sit around 4ft away from the 32" tv because any farther away you have to move up in screen size.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN /forum/post/0

SHARP INTRODUCES FULL HD 1080P AQUOS LCD TVS OPTIMIZED FOR GAMING

Industry-Leading Game Reaction Speed, Pixel Response Time and Easy-Connect Side Terminals Appeal to Serious Gamers

LAS VEGAS, NV, January 8, 2007 -- Sharp today introduced the GP1U series of full HD 1080p AQUOS® Liquid Crystal Televisions (LCD TVs), created specifically for gamers, in widescreen 32- and 37-inch screen sizes. The 16:9 LCD TVs boast a new feature called Vyper Drive, which can handle the highest frame rates of even the most punishing video games.

The Vyper Drive feature reduces the lag time between the game console input and the TV display to imperceptible levels. A special Game Mode button on the remote control provides gamers quick access to the side terminal inputs, which are positioned for easy and convenient connection to a video game console and also activates Vyper Drive. The GP1U series' side-placed video terminals include a full array of connection options, including HDMI, component and composite input. The HDMI and component inputs are compatible with 1080p signals from today's most advanced video games.

Video games have always looked great on crystal-clear AQUOS LCD TVs, and we've taken that a step further with the new GP1U AQUOS series, providing specific features that truly enhance the overall experience for the next generation of game consoles, said Bob Scaglione, senior vice president and group manager, Product and Marketing Group, Sharp Electronics Corporation.

The GP1U series also packs all the features found on a traditional cutting-edge HDTV, including full HD 1080p resolution, thanks to the 1920 x 1080 Advanced Super View Panel with 4-wavelength backlight system, for deeper, more vivid reds. Dynamic Contrast Ratio is an impressive 10,000:1 on the 32-inch and 8500:1 on the 37-inch, so gamers will never miss a detail, even in the darkest scenes. Pixel response time of 6ms delivers smooth video playback in fast-moving sports and action sequences.

As with all HD AQUOS models, the GP1U sets come with built-in ATSC, QAM and NTSC tuners, offering compatibility with all available analog and digital over-the-air and cable TV programming. The robust palette of video inputs includes two sets of component inputs and three HDMI inputs that are compatible with 1080p signals from Blu-Ray and advanced gaming devices. A DVI-I terminal, also 1080p compatible, provides easy connectivity to a PC.

The LC-32GP1U and LC-37GP1U feature a wide viewing angle of 176 degrees, allowing viewers to get a full view of the screen even when sitting off to the side. Thanks to the high brightness rating (450 cd/m2) of the GP1U series, viewers experience a bright image whether in low-light or fully-lit settings. The long-life backlight system provides 60,000 viewing hours under normal viewing conditions, and the bottom-placed speaker design reduces the overall width of the TV for a better fit inside cabinets and armoires.

Pricing and availability:

The LC-32GP1U and LC-37GP1U will be available in March for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRPs) of $1,699.99 and $1,999.99, respectively.

____________________________________________________________ _

i hope you sit around 4ft away from the 32" tv because any farther away you have to move up in screen size.

Sweet! Thanks! And yes, the whole reason I wanted a small 1080p set is because I'm usually about 3 feet away while playing games. I prefer to select my TVs based on pixel density over higher resolutions. Smaller sets have always looked better to me.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural /forum/post/0

Is there a point? You might as well just get a high resolution PC monitor and buy a tuner seperate, would come out cheaper and still get the resolutions you want.

I want to avoid any scaling whatsoever. I'd prefer to have a set with perfect 1080p native res.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot /forum/post/0

PS. I don't want a PC monitor....

I'm just curious why? I have a 24" Dell 1920x1200 (so 1080p is 1:1 with black bars on the top and bottom) which has DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite and Component ins, and PIP (sort of -- one of the PC inputs selectable as one and one of the TV inputs as the other). I watch TV PIP while using the PC and we used it as our TV for a week while deciding if we wanted to go with an LCD as our main TV.

Or maybe you just don't want to go that small? The 1920 wide PC monitors do only tend to be 23-24", the larger ones are higher resolution.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markarian421 /forum/post/0

I'm just curious why? I have a 24" Dell 1920x1200 (so 1080p is 1:1 with black bars on the top and bottom) which has DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite and Component ins, and PIP (sort of -- one of the PC inputs selectable as one and one of the TV inputs as the other). I watch TV PIP while using the PC and we used it as our TV for a week while deciding if we wanted to go with an LCD as our main TV.

Or maybe you just don't want to go that small? The 1920 wide PC monitors do only tend to be 23-24", the larger ones are higher resolution.

I have the Dell 2405FPW and I used to picture-by-picture component (Xbox 360) and DVI (PC). A great monitor, but I saw a lot of ghosting when gaming.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I have dual 19"'s for multi-tasking with DVI for my PC but even a 24" is a weenie compared to a 32/37" or the 45"/57" Sharp's I own - I 360 on my 57" with no motion issues whatsoever = NONE and a PQ and immersiveness that will dwarf a 24" monitor - since the controllers are wireless one can get as close as you dare to so the argument of closer viewing is a non-issue.

Go for the new Sharp 32/37" - it's targeted directly at what your trying to do and will do dot-by-dot as it's been made native 1080P.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irby /forum/post/0

I have the Dell 2405FPW and I used to picture-by-picture component (Xbox 360) and DVI (PC). A great monitor, but I saw a lot of ghosting when gaming.

Yeah, I was really looking for something in the 30-34" range. So these 24" Dells are wee bit small for me.

Just curious, what's up with the ghosting? Slow response time?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot /forum/post/0

Yeah, I was really looking for something in the 30-34" range. So these 24" Dells are wee bit small for me.

Just curious, what's up with the ghosting? Slow response time?

I think the 2405 has either 12 or 16ms response. It's only been noticeable when gaming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.