AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to search on google for a while to no avail...

I would like the absolute smallest case possible with a Micro-ATX form factor.

Any ideas?

I checked on assassins blog and that's just not small enough.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If you want a truely small case you may have to be willing to make some minor case mods such as removing the PSU and replacing it with a Pico PSU.

I built a system using the Cooler Master Elite 100 Mini-ITX, this case actually holds a mATX board once you remove the provided PSU.

I built another system using a Raidmax mini-ITX/mATX case that also required removing the PSU and replacing it with a PicoPSU. This case also required flipping it from vertical to horizontal and adding some stick on feet.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB  /t/1468812/smallest-and-quietest-micro-atx-case#post_23221488

I'd like a case the size of an Xbox.. These are too wide

I too was shopping around for months looking at every possible mATX case trying to find the smallest possible. I settled on the the Silverstone ML03B (Same case that rickcfer posted a link for). This was quite honestly the BEST decision I could have made and have now replaced all of the HTPC's in the house using this case.

When coupled with a low profile CPU cooler ( I have one from Cooler Master) and a SSD hard drive, this PC is nearly dead silent!!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Have a look at the Realan mini-ITX cases at the end of Assassin's hardware guide. They are high-quality and the size you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
What are your requirements? Because you mention an Xbox, I am wondering if this is going to be a dual-purpose HTPC/gaming rig? Unfortunately, there are not great m-ITX cases like we have in some pre-built machines.

Currently, I don't think there is anything smaller than the Falcon Northwest Tiki , or the DigitalStorm Bolt as far as high-end gaming is concerned. At the mid-range, there is also the Alienware X51 .

If you are just looking for an all-in-one HTPC, I don't think there are any better options than the Mac Mini , unfortunately. Everything else seems to have a huge power brick rather than an integrated power supply - though the Mini now lacks an optical drive, which can be a nuisance depending on your needs.

It's too bad that a lot of manufacturers are stuck thinking about the traditional PC tower/desktop form factors, when there could be much better use of the space if they considered using a "non-standard" layout.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It'll be just for movies and other video. no gaming. Entirely sick of my Xbox, it sounds like a jet engine. If I didn't have a spare mobo and chip, I'd think about the echo....

Don't really care about a power brick (pico psu) as long as it's small.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB  /t/1468812/smallest-and-quietest-micro-atx-case#post_23230145

If I didn't have a spare mobo and chip, I'd think about the echo....

So you already have a motherboard and CPU and you're trying to find a case for it? That would be helpful info to divulge when asking for suggestions. Which motherboard and CPU?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion  /t/1468812/smallest-and-quietest-micro-atx-case#post_23230566

So you already have a motherboard and CPU and you're trying to find a case for it? That would be helpful info to divulge when asking for suggestions. Which motherboard and CPU?

I thought that was implied in the original post.

ASRock B75M-DGS

Intel Celeron G1610

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB  /t/1468812/smallest-and-quietest-micro-atx-case/0_100#post_23221488

I'd like a case the size of an Xbox.. These are too wide

Dell has sales all the time on Refurb X51. Check their outlet store and look for coupons on Slickdeals. I have seen it as low as $400 with an i7, 1TB HDD, Blu-ray, and a discrete GPU. I don't think you could even build a machine with those parts for that cheap. About the same size as a 360. They were overpriced when they first came out but the Outlet models are a steal IMO.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/3/2768359/alienware-x51-review

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
 inteset.com has an IR receiver specifically designed for ASRock CIR motherboards (that supports power on from S5; case mode required, of course).

Or ASRock Smart Remote , easy to attach.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.