AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cabinet (and this cannot be changed as it is built into the wall) that measures 77.5cm EXACTLY (not 1 mm more). For years, I've been unwilling to switch to LCD for that room because it's virtually impossible to fit a decent size tv in there. However, my old 3:4 CRT broke, and I need a replacement. I've been trying to find a 32in LCD with the smallest physical dimensions. The smallest I could find is literally 1.6mm too wide (a Sharp one). Is there any other that's smaller? I'm also willing to settle for a 30in TV (though I don't think 30in TVs exist), but a 26in is just too small.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I went through the same dilemma about a year ago. At the time there were still a few 27" lcds floating around. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a 26". I wish someone would make a 30".

·
Registered
45 Posts
This might be a dumb idea as I'm not sure how it would work, but I've seen 30" lcd computer monitors. Not cheap and you would need an external tuner and sound, but might be an idea. Just a thought.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I looked at the Gatewat HDX3000 monitor, but I've been told that monitors in general are unable to produce good picture quality for TV.... Not sure if this is true of that particular model. All the monitors I've looked at seem to have very low (compared to actual TVs) contrast ratios.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You may not be able to find anything smaller than that Sharp. The Panasonic TC-L32G1 looks like it might fit. But I don't know the dimensions, and it will not be released until April. There may be other companies releasing 32" TVs with narrower bezels in 2009, so maybe you can find a 2009 model that will fit.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15507329

You may not be able to find anything smaller than that Sharp. The Panasonic TC-L32G1 looks like it might fit. But I don't know the dimensions, and it will not be released until April. There may be other companies releasing 32" TVs with narrower bezels in 2009, so maybe you can find a 2009 model that will fit.

Thanks for your help. Could you tell me what exactly are the new models that will be released this year?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Wow, tough situation. You're right, about the only thing out now that comes closes to fitting is some of the Sharp Aquos 32-inchers, and they're still about 1/16 of an inch too wide.

Do you own the property in question? If so, you could power-sand down the side walls of said cabinet, and then re-paint or re-stain them. That'd buy you the couple or three extra millimeters you'll need, if you do it evenly enough. Bit of a hassle tho'.

Still, if you did this, it'll be real tight... make sure that that doesn't prevent the TV from venting heat in any major way (I know, most TVs have top vents, but I'm paranoid).

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehe299792458 /forum/post/15509480

Thanks for your help. Could you tell me what exactly are the new models that will be released this year?

Sorry, that Panasonic is the only one that I've heard of so far. I was just speculating that there might be others. Here is a link with some info on the new Panasonic, but no dimensions:

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us/product/g_lcd.html

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehe299792458 /forum/post/15515462

does anyone have an opinion on how would Gateway's HDX3000 perform as a TV?

I've seen it as a monitor and it look darn good, but again TV is different. I would give it a shot if you could get it from somewhere with a good return policy.

What would you use as your tuner?

Good Luck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDennis /forum/post/15516134

I've seen it as a monitor and it look darn good, but again TV is different. I would give it a shot if you could get it from somewhere with a good return policy.

What would you use as your tuner?

Good Luck.

Well, I already have a Linksys media extender. Unfortunately, I can't find a retailer with a good return policy that carries the monitor. The only I found has a 30% restocking fee..... I'll just have to wait for the new Panasonic tv then....

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Well tis may be a big stretch, and it could either may not be possible or too much of a hassel, but what about installing an arm mount to the back of your cabinet and have the arm of the mount extend out so it just clears your outer frame of the cabinet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts