AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Philly area and called both the local UPN and WB Station to find out why they are not broadcasting in digital yet. They both said that they are going to be on the new 1500' tower that is being built as we speak and will be on the air late august. They were supposed to be on the air by Mid July but there were delays do to union problems ( we have a lot of that here). UPN will be on channel 32 and WB on 55. I also asked them about what format they are using, they both answered 1080I (booooo. I want 720p) and that they will pass on the direct video and audio feed from the networks.


Now to the best part, this will effect everyone who can get DTV form UPN and WB. The WB director of engineering said WB will be sending out 4 programs this fall in widescreen 1080I with one of them being their, Quote "Flag ship, out of this world, everybody's favorite interplanetary do gooder meets Dawson's Creek show" (yes, this is exactly how he worded it.) along with some new show that follows Barbara Gordon(Bat Girl) and some vigilante chick after she was in an accident. He said that there will be a press release on the matter and that this is how he had to word it until the press release. On the UPN side the General manager for CBS/UPN (they have the same parent company) engineering said they don't know how many shows will come that way but did know that Enterprise will be passed on in 1080I widescreen both the new shows and the first season starting with the first episode from the first season. For you Buffy Fans, there was no information on that show. All I can Say is that FOX better get a clue. Speaking of fox I can't see any reason to watch that channel now that they canceled Dark Angle and 24 in done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,072 Posts
Smallville, Enterprise, and Birds of Prey (spinoff from the Batman story) should all be amazing in HD. I was actually considering getting rid of my receiver since I almost never watch HD programs (I need an HD TiVo!). It will be worth keeping just to watch those shows. I just have to reprogram my friends to understand that we have to be ready to watch the shows as they air. TiVo has spoiled us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,224 Posts
Funny, i'm just the opposite, there is no way I'd miss an HD broadcast just so I could use my TiVos or Dishplayers. Since I got HD I hardly use them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PJO1966
Smallville, Enterprise, and Birds of Prey (spinoff from the Batman story) should all be amazing in HD. I was actually considering getting rid of my receiver since I almost never watch HD programs (I need an HD TiVo!). It will be worth keeping just to watch those shows. I just have to reprogram my friends to understand that we have to be ready to watch the shows as they air. TiVo has spoiled us.
Just buy a Hipix. I don't understand why more people don't go this route? I couldn't live without mine.


Wonder when they'll start showing Enterprise in HD here in the Bay Area?


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R8der



Just buy a Hipix. I don't understand why more people don't go this route? I couldn't live without mine.


Wonder when they'll start showing Enterprise in HD here in the Bay Area?


Chris
Do you use a dedicated PC just for recording programs with your Hipix?


I think there are 3 reasons people don't use it:


1) Many people haven't heard about it (readers of this forum have, though).

2) Many people don't have their PC near their HDTV

3) The card is expensive and gets more expensive if a dedicated PC is needed with a huge hard drive.


Having said that, I can definitely see why it's a great product. I would consider putting my current PC into the family room for this purpose and buying a new one. Can you easily use your HDTV as a computer monitor if your TV doesn't have a VGA input? I wouldn't watch HDTV programs on a 17" monitor.


Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthJedi
UPN will be on channel 32 and WB on 55.
I emailed both of them 2 weeks ago about the same subject and didn't get a response.


Are you sure WB is on 55? That's what WHYY (PBS analog channel 12) is currently broadcasting on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry About my typeo it is 54 not 55
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
This is great news. I currently have a Dish 6000 STB but I am formulating new plans for the fall. I am a timeshifter, I rarely watch anything live except sporting events. HD so far has been a pain in my timeshifting methods.


I now plan to get the new Samsung STB the announced that is OTA and 1394 plus a HD VCR (I havn't decided on JVC or Mitsubishi yet). That way I can watch Enterprise etc. If Dish doesn't have a 1394 interface on their box I will watch less and less of them. Maybe eventually so little that I will cancel them.


Rick R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpade



Do you use a dedicated PC just for recording programs with your Hipix?


I think there are 3 reasons people don't use it:


1) Many people haven't heard about it (readers of this forum have, though).

2) Many people don't have their PC near their HDTV

3) The card is expensive and gets more expensive if a dedicated PC is needed with a huge hard drive.


Having said that, I can definitely see why it's a great product. I would consider putting my current PC into the family room for this purpose and buying a new one. Can you easily use your HDTV as a computer monitor if your TV doesn't have a VGA input? I wouldn't watch HDTV programs on a 17" monitor.


Brad
I use a dedicated computer myself, but you don't have to. The system requirements are quite low, so most of those reading this forum likely have a system that far exceeds what you require. The large hard drives are MUCH cheaper today than when I first built my HTPC with an 80GB drive a year and a half ago. That drive can be had for under $100 now, and that's 10 hours of programming right there.


Your PC doesn't need to be near your HDTV....you can run your component cables pretty far without signal degradation. You will want to run an IR remote sensor to your viewing area as well for FFWD/REV/PAUSE features. Your HDTV can be used as a computer monitor if you use a transcoder to convert VGA to component. I personally have a small monitor next to my HDTV that I view the software platform from. I then run the component output of the Hipix straight to my set.


If you use an existing computer, the $500 for the Hipix/80GB drive is about what a decent DVD player goes for....and you can record HDTV! That's a bargain!


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,984 Posts
I thought WB was going to be a 720P network


(maybe its just my local in detroit thats planning to be 720P)


do we have any confirmation one way or the other?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R8der



Your HDTV can be used as a computer monitor if you use a transcoder to convert VGA to component. I personally have a small monitor next to my HDTV that I view the software platform from. I then run the component output of the Hipix straight to my set.


Chris
Can you give me an example of a transcoder (with a link to a web site that sells them, if possible)? Does the transcoder connect to the VGA port on the PC? Thanks!!


BRad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R8der
Here is one example....there are several on the market:

http://www.keydigital.com/search_res...&btnSearch.y=5


Hope that link shows up ok. If not, just go to Key Digital's webpage and click on "video adaptors transcoders".


Chris
Thank you. The link worked fine. Those things sure are expensive. Plus, I'd need an A/B switch since my TV only has 2 component inputs.


If only I didn't need 13 new windows and a new deck after having dumped a bunch of cash into remodeled bathrooms.:(


Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpade



Thank you. The link worked fine. Those things sure are expensive. Plus, I'd need an A/B switch since my TV only has 2 component inputs.


Brad
Yes, they are too expensive for me, which is why I have a small monitor I had laying around hooked up to my HTPC. Works great...and the wife only put up a small fight... :D


For component switching, I use the Radio Shack 4-1 A/V switcher. Works great and costs about $25.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,314 Posts
Chris, the one you linked was component to VGA transcoder, what most people like Brad need is a VGA to component transcoder which costs a little over $100.


As far as Hipix and all other HD cards, they all have RGB or component HD output options for your HDTV sets, which means no transcoder needed. The manufacture would be stupid if people can only watch HD on a PC monitor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
I only brought up the transcoder issue because Brad asked if his HDTV could be used as a computer monitor even if it didn't have a VGA input.


The link actually has two transcoders, one of them being the VGA to Component that you'd need to input VGA. You just need to scroll down to see the correct one.


You can likely find them for around $100 as you suggest if you shop around.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
DarthJedi, thanks for posting that fantastic news. The reception should be good from Burlington, NJ, where I'm moving into a house soon.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top