AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Please forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere but you all seem to be the experts at this type of thing...

I purchased a Condo and it is prewired for Cat 5, only problem was all the ends of the wires were left without plugs/jacks on the ends in the closet where the router is ment to go.

I went to home depot got the kit and put the ends on all the wires and plugged them into my router...

I can see the light on the router light up and my computer/Xbox think they are on the internet, but they can't get a message through... The whol setup works fine when I skip the wire in the wall and go straight to my computer... but when I work through the wires I have in the wall, and ping the router, I get between 1 and 3 of 4 packets returned, never none, never four.

I think there must be something stoping the signal someplace but I don't know what beacuse if it is it is likely inside the wall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How old is the condo, and more importantly, how old is the cabling? Is it even Cat 5?

I would check the cables have been terminated correctly using a cable verifier (cheap from an electronics store). More advanced ones (read: more expensive) will also have a feature that checks the length of the cable, which is handy if you have a large condo.

If the verifier says it's all good, the cabler may have damaged the cable on installation, or there is some interference from electrical cabling or similar.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts