AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was recently considering a full upgrade of my surround sound system. And after much research and the help of you fine people on these forums I decided that I want either a Denon or Yamaha receiver and Paradigm speakers. Which turned out to be all in all a little out of my price range. So I decided to purchase just a new receiver and went with the Yamaha RX-V765 7.2, and a whole new set of wires for my speakers (OLD JVC satellites)

Was this a good purchase, and by that I mean will I hear sound improvement?

P.S. I will be purchasing all new speakers at a later date.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope /forum/post/16996264

So I was recently considering a full upgrade of my surround sound system. And after much research and the help of you fine people on these forums I decided that I want either a Denon or Yamaha receiver and Paradigm speakers. Which turned out to be all in all a little out of my price range. So I decided to purchase just a new receiver and went with the Yamaha RX-V765 7.2, and a whole new set of wires for my speakers (OLD JVC satellites)

Was this a good purchase, and by that I mean will I hear sound improvement?

P.S. I will be purchasing all new speakers at a later date.

Speakers are 90% or more of your SQ so don't expect much change. If you're using the same old JVC speakers you'll get the same old JVC sound.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Buy the speakers first. Return the AVR AND Speaker Wire. Buy speaker wire from monoprice if you really need it. You could always cut new ends to get back to new copper.

Go get those Paradigms and if you can't afford right this instant, wait.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I would have gotten new speakers also, but if he needs HDMI connectivity then I see no reason not to get a new receiver now, though personally I would have gone with H/K. As for replacing his wire I don't see any need unless he was using a small gauge (18ga or smaller) and/or he may be running wire through walls in which case he needs wire rated for in-wall, but that is his call and not a major expense probably. Monoprice has great prices on their speaker wire (and maybe that is where he bought). If the Paradigm speakers are too costly he should consider the Ascend Acoustics speakers that are probably as good or better and likely a lot cheaper. If their moving sale is still in effect he can get a real bargain:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts