AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck between buying a Smart TV or just a "dumb"
TV. The only reason why is price, I can afford the more expensive Smart TV, however, why spend the money when I don't have to? I know that I can purchase a blu-ray player that can give me the same options and experience as a Smart TV at a fraction of the cost. Can I have the pro's and con's of either option? Any ownership experiences would be great too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have Samsung and got HBOGO with my free subscription. (2 Years for good customer). I can watch anything from HBO library. I also watch Hulu and Amazon. You could get a WD Live and get all capabilities of Smart TV. (Plus play local files)

Good Luck

Tee Jay

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Downsides to a smart tv:

(1) Your TV will spy on you and report all of your usage back to the manufacturer. If you use the tuner in your tv, it will even report back what shows you are watching. They will correlate this information via your ip address to your web browsing like facebook logins and online purchases (and thus your name, address and phone number too). This information will be used to do things like pick advertising strategies for both products and election campaigns to try to manipulate you. (one example that not only spied on viewing habits, it scanned the entire network for video files and sent the filenames back to the manufacturer http://www.informationweek.com/security/compliance/lg-admits-smart-tvs-spied-on-users/d/d-id/1112755 )

(2) The manufacturer will abandon software updates to your tv after it is a couple of model generations out of date. That means security updates will stop coming too, so if you leave it on your network it may well be used by hackers to exploit other systems in your home as well as to attack other computers out on the internet.

(3) You are stuck with whatever licensing deals the manufacturer makes. If you buy a Sony TV and Sony (who owns Columbia Pictures) gets in a snit with Netflix, they might "update" your TV to remove the netflix player.

(4) You are stuck with whatever crummy user-interface the manufacturer has been able slap to together -- they have such a great history of user interfaces with remote controls so you know what to expect.

Save your money, buy a player from a company that specializes in that sort of thing like a wdtv or a roku. (which may have spying issues too, but at least you can shop around and pick based on the spying risks without compromising the tv quality).

Sometimes you can't buy a TV with the specs you want without getting all that "smart" crap too, but at least you don't have to put it on the network.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JerryW, that's a lot to think about.

However, I'm going to bet (and I think it's a safe one at that) that most manufacturers have my info. already. Put it this way, I recently researched, booked, and paid for (mostly) a family vacation down to Disney and Universal Studios for this upcoming July. Right now, on this very website as a I am typing, I'm looking at 2 banner ads, both for Universal Studios. That's no coincidence.

What you said about choosing the platform however, is more interesting to me. The tv's I'm considering are both Samsung's. One is from the 6300 family and the other is the 6003 (I think). How is Samsung's interface and available apps. compared to other manufacturers?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Get the smart TV. The picture for Netfiix, Amazon etc. look better on a smart tv as oppose to an outboard unit like Apple TV or Roku. I like the Sony interface on the smart tv best.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I with TeeJay1952 & JerryW, you can buy any 3rd party device that can run all the apps the Smart TV does plus tons more.

The Smart TV's from 2 years ago are already outdated & have never been upgraded.

Google Chromcast is as big as a USB drive & does everything a Samsung Smart TV does & only costs $35.00. Plus is constantly supported.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolenski7  /t/1519852/smart-tv-vs-dumb-tv-which-one-do-i-choose#post_24413508

However, I'm going to bet (and I think it's a safe one at that) that most manufacturers have my info. already.
I don't want to hijack so this is the only thing more I will say - privacy is not black and white, just like you as a person don't consist of a single data point. The more information accumulated about you and your family, the greater the risk that something in there will be useful to someone who doesn't have your best interests at heart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are giving me a lot of good information.

I like the idea of a Smart TV b/c I don't want another box and if the picture is better when using Netflix or another streaming content provider, that's definitely a plus. However, I didn't realize they were not updated. Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Well, it's not that they aren't updated, it's that when companies naturally start dropping support for older models.

The older, the less likely they will offer any updates or any new firmware upgrades.

I would say expecting 2 years of support would be good enough.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
I use an HTPC ,PS3 and 2 ROKU 's of those 3 the Roku's win hands down . OTOH all 2014 Sony's at least will be "Smart TV's I'm sure decent Samsung sets with the better panels will follow suite . If you are concerned about data mining from your TV mfr. you can always elect to just use a Roku even with a smart TV .

ofc with a potential of 750 channels the Roku affords plenty of opportunity for data mining also .

OTA TV not connected to anything but an antenna is the only private TV now.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby  /t/1519852/smart-tv-vs-dumb-tv-which-one-do-i-choose#post_24413523

Get the smart TV. The picture for Netfiix, Amazon etc. look better on a smart tv as oppose to an outboard unit like Apple TV or Roku. I like the Sony interface on the smart tv best.

Not my experience with a few different players, but my "smart" tv apps don't have multi channel sound so I dont bother with the "smart" tv apps....as there's no significant difference in picture I've ever noticed...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thanks for all of the information.

I just purchased a Samsung 50" 120Hz Smart Slim LED HDTV (UN50F6300AFXZP) off of Groupon of all places. I've been looking for for about 7 months now, off and on, and in all that time I couldn't find a better deal, ($829.99)

This was definitely the size I wanted, any bigger and it would dominate the space too much and any smaller my son would revolt. I certainly could have purchased a less expensive Vizio or other off brand, but I really wanted to stay within Samsung, LG, or Sony. I could have purchased the same size screen within those brands for less money, but not significantly and when I added the cost of a smart blu-ray player, the difference was even less.

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
That Sammie is nice TV . I have one of their newer 60" Plasma's, a new (2 weeks ) Sony KDL40R450A with a Samsung panel and a 1 yr old 32" Toshiba with a Samsung panel

all of them, have good pictures .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.