AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a cheap 40" Seiki TV from Walmart and when its on its giving off some nasty smells. I've had it about two weeks, watched about five full length movies and it still has the odour. Never owned an LCD tv before and just want to know if this is normal or something I should be concerned about? Especially if it could be something toxic. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72 /forum/post/20870066


Bought a cheap 40" Seiki TV from Walmart and when its on its giving off some nasty smells. I've had it about two weeks, watched about five full length movies and it still has the odour. Never owned an LCD tv before and just want to know if this is normal or something I should be concerned about? Especially if it could be something toxic. Thanks.

I recently bought a 20" LCD monitor, and it also had a weird smell, very similar to how stuff from my late mother's basement smelled after we cleared it out. It seems to start once the unit has warmed up.

It has subsided over the last few weeks, so maybe it's like "new car smell", as newly-molded plastic emits nasty fumes for several months as it cures.

And oh yeah, it's toxic.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Stunko

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72 /forum/post/20870066


Bought a cheap 40" Seiki TV from Walmart and when its on its giving off some nasty smells. I've had it about two weeks, watched about five full length movies and it still has the odour. Never owned an LCD tv before and just want to know if this is normal or something I should be concerned about? Especially if it could be something toxic. Thanks.

If it has a noticeable smell that doesn't go away, then it's cooking off some toxic organics once warmed-up. Most electronics have some sort of smell when first used. It's usually the solvents manufacturing uses to clean off the boards once assembled. Poorly manufactured boards or boards with questionable QC will continue to give off smells for longer than expected. My LG had that new electronic smell for about one day and then it was gone. And, the smell was only noticeable if you were standing next to the vents on the tv. Caveat emptor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72 /forum/post/20870066


Bought a cheap 40" Seiki TV from Walmart and when its on its giving off some nasty smells. I've had it about two weeks, watched about five full length movies and it still has the odour. Never owned an LCD tv before and just want to know if this is normal or something I should be concerned about? Especially if it could be something toxic. Thanks.

Most likely you are smelling the fumigation used to kill those nasty insects sneaking into this country via the cargo containers. Clothes imported from the far east are always smelly for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72 /forum/post/20871113


I've got another couple weeks before my return period runs out. Just hope I don't die before that.

If you notice dead insects around your tv I'd think about returning it quickly
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72 /forum/post/20870066


Bought a cheap 40" Seiki TV from Walmart and when its on its giving off some nasty smells. I've had it about two weeks, watched about five full length movies and it still has the odour. Never owned an LCD tv before and just want to know if this is normal or something I should be concerned about? Especially if it could be something toxic. Thanks.
@ Otto: ROFLMAO. .. . I always love your quips


Mmmmmmmm. . . . the smell of phenolic electronics in the morning!


I bought a Samsung for someone last year also and had it set up here for a month. Almost thought it smelled like a bad florescent ballast inside it! Every time I walked by it I got a whiff! It subsided but took about 2 month of use after the owner got it. As others have said, probably residue from the flow solder and other assembly processes.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72 /forum/post/20871258


Hope you guys are kidding about the insecticide and bugs. I'm pretty careful to keep anything that might harbour bedbugs out of my house.
. . . .
. . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .



Latest News: A new solution for the bedbug epidemic was recently uncovered. By purchasing a new LCD TV "made in China", it was discovered that the noxious odors given off by the TV after warming up drive the vermin out of the house and kill whatever remains.


Returning to regular broadcast. Film at 11.

EDIT: News Flash: "Stinking LCD TV drives new TV owner out of house. . . with bedbugs." Wait now. . . . did the owner , the TV , or the house have bed bugs?


Apologies. Seriously, the LAST thing anyone would want it an infestation. Not likely the TV had any bugs. Just the smells of fumigants, plastic, electronics assembly residue. Just open windows to air the room out till it subsides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B /forum/post/20871332

@ Otto: ROFLMAO. .. . I always love your quips


Mmmmmmmm. . . . the smell of phenolic electronics in the morning!


I bought a Samsung for someone last year also and had it set up here for a month. Almost thought it smelled like a bad florescent ballast in side it! Every time I walked by it I got a whiff! It subsided but took about 2 month of use after the owner got it. As others have said, probably residue from the flow solder and other assembly processes.

You know, I think that's it. It smelled familiar and now that I think of it, it does smell like burning solder. Unfortunately, burning solder gives me migraines and I've been felling kind of pukey since I got it. Hopefully it will burn off soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B /forum/post/20871376

. . . .
. . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .



Latest News: A new solution for the bedbug epidemic was recently uncovered. By purchasing a new LCD TV "made in China", it was discovered that the noxious odors given off by the TV after warming up drive the vermin out of the house and kill whatever remains.


Returning to regular broadcast. Film at 11.

Kewl! I'll buy another one for the upstairs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72 /forum/post/20871258


Hope you guys are kidding about the insecticide and bugs. I'm pretty careful to keep anything that might harbour bedbugs out of my house.

I've had lots and lots of electronics over the years and noticed the "new electronics smell" (and actually enjoyed it
) but it always went away within a day or so and was never really strong unless you were close to it. It may have something to do with fumigants but I think it's more likely due to sloppy manufacturing. At any rate, if it doesn't go away soon and you start feeling a little wonky (a technical term) I'd try to replace it with another one and see if that is better. I'm an organic chemist (toxicology) so smelling those fumes without proper ventilation is not a good thing. And if some of those fumes are due to a pesticides cooking off........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/20871818


I don't know - very few electronics devices I buy these days don't have some kind of bugs -


although they might not be the type of bugs you guys are talking about.

This is just getting way too funny
I hope the OP can appreciate the humor
We really are trying to help.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/20871584


I've had lots and lots of electronics over the years and noticed the "new electronics smell" (and actually enjoyed it
sniff-sniff)


. . . . fumes are . . . .cooking off........

How did I know that you would enjoy "new electronics smell"?




Nevermind. . . . . just sayin'. . .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72
How about this?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-melamine.htm
Mmmmm... not likely melamine, but there are related compounds like phenolic resin and bakelite that have been in electronics use for years. Both of these two compounds give off a characteristic odor when heated. Usually components in the power supply still use some discreet components that are encased or insulated with these materials. My dad worked for years at Allen Bradley where they made motor controls and resistors for quite awhile. The plant smelled like hot resistors and so did his clothes when he came home.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72
Thinking it could also be a blown capacitor but you'd think the smell would die down and there'd an obvious problem with the TV.
It's possible. Heck, if you have the tools, I'd unscrew the back and give it a good look over. you might be able to localize the odor? Wally World would never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard72
How about this?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-melamine.htm
this is a cyano compound. Cyano, in case you're wondering, is cyanide related. Cyanide, once absorbed binds to hemoglobin, and you suffocate. Melamine has definite health related issues, and when you cook it, it breaks down and recombines to who knows what. Not saying that this is what's happening but Chinese made products are notorious for laxicty in environmental/health and safety concerns. That's why they are so cheap. If it was me, I'd take it back, safe my money, and buy an LG, Sony, Samsung, or maybe even a Sharp.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top