AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out the common denominator for the smooth hulu playback problem? I have a good internet connection which works flawless with everything but hulu. I get jerky movement, but no pixelation. Netflix, abc.com, and fancast all work perfectly. I'm not going to stress over it, but I was just curious.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Based off my own configs and experience i tend to lean towards vid card drivers/flash incompatibility. I tried a bunch of flash versions, rebooting every single time after an uninstall and they were all consistent.

I swapped videocards and I can run it w/ no stutter on an ATI 4890 card, but stutters on a 8800 GTS 512 card. No CPU/Ram/mobo bottleneck and it reacted the same on two diff. board chipsets.

The tearing may be vid related as well, but I've never really had tearing problems so I don't have enough experience to talk about it. I could force it to tear up by unchecking 'visual styles on windows and buttons' option under Computer->Performance->Visual effects though. For some reason if I disable that, hulu desktop or through a webbrowser starts tearing like crazy.

Hopefully that at least helps some people getting a lot of tearing...

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's some more info on the other thread too if you want to check that out. Here's mine:

W7 x64 RTM

q9550 o/c'd

ATI 4890

Firefox/IE - no dropped frames (100% perfect)

W7 x86 RC

E6750 o/c'd

8800 GTS 512MB

IE - no dropped frames

huludesktop - occasional dropped frames on 'High' (very slight stutter-effect every 5-10 seconds) / none on 'Mid'

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/16954298

What program are you using to control Hulu?

I'm using IE. I think its the latest version. I haven't bothered with Firefox, because I hear its horrible for hulu.

I'm running:

AMD x2 5050e

4GB Ram

Vista x64

and ATI 4550

I know its not screaming, but I would think this should be enough for hulu. My Q6600 stutters just as bad. I don't have issues with any other streaming web-sites either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well here's what I got so far:

Since Hulu Desktop on my overclocked Q9550 box barely reaches a sustained 10% cpu utilization... it probably isn't the CPU.

From what I can see in the resource monitor hulu desktop is caching the movies in my IE/temp directory. Since that's being run from a RAM disk it's definitely not a disk or cache latency issue or one of those hard drive 'hiccups'.

And since I can run it 100% perfect on both boxes from the website, my verdict is that hulu desktop just sux lol.

Now if someone out there is actually running Hulu Desktop without dropped frames i'd be interested to hear about it and your system specs/config. At this time, I'm going to give up on making it work perfectly through the Hulu Desktop player and either live with the stuttering, or actually get my as* off the couch and just launch it from the website.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-Z /forum/post/16958453

Well here's what I got so far:

Since Hulu Desktop on my overclocked Q9550 box barely reaches a sustained 10% cpu utilization... it probably isn't the CPU.

From what I can see in the resource monitor hulu desktop is caching the movies in my IE/temp directory. Since that's being run from a RAM disk it's definitely not a disk or cache latency issue or one of those hard drive 'hiccups'.

And since I can run it 100% perfect on both boxes from the website, my verdict is that hulu desktop just sux lol.

Now if someone out there is actually running Hulu Desktop without dropped frames i'd be interested to hear about it and your system specs/config. At this time, I'm going to give up on making it work perfectly through the Hulu Desktop player and either live with the stuttering, or actually get my as* off the couch and just launch it from the website.

I have smooth playback with hulu desktop launched from MediaPortal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it might be useful to determine some "test clips" or hulu programing that everyone can use to make sure we are looking at the same material. In my experience, some of the content on Hulu is clearly more demanding or higher bandwidth in playback than other material.

For instance, I find the opening seconds of Fringe, season 1, episode 17 to be a pretty good test of stutter as the camera pans down the train station interior.

I think describing a common clip will go a long way in allowing us to compare results in a more meaningful manner.

I recently updated my aging HTPC in part to watch HULU and so far I have been disappointed with the results. Hulu destop is just unwatchable for me while using a browser (Chrome or firefox) has given me the best results. I'm convinced there is more to it than just throwing CPU power at it but I wish I knew what it was???

Current HTPC rig

Video: AMD 780g integrated on Asus m3a78-em

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X3 710

Ram: 4 gig

HD: 1 TB WD Green (which is noisy as heck!)

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenac /forum/post/16958642

I have smooth playback with hulu desktop launched from MediaPortal.

system specs? Probably only way we're ever going to figure this one out.

Vid card, driver version and flash version probably will be the most important ones, but feel free to include anything else (CPU, chipset, etc.)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Adobe flash plus internet explorer = steaming pile. I don't know whos fault it is since both Microsoft and Adobe point fingers at the other guy. Bottom line the crap aint working right and may never with that attitude. This really pisses me off too since I would rather just use whatever is built into windows without loading my system up with thirty five extra pieces of software just to do what I need done.

Anyways what I found works really really well with hulu and other streaming type sites on my machine is Mozilla Firefox. Don't know why, don't care why. It just works really well for me.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Don't know if you guys tried to do a search, but I've been chasing this Holy Grail for quite some time. Here are my posts...

Questioning the graphics card
Who gets smooth HULU
Graphics card poll

This is a tough one to solve. It doesn't look like there is any pattern as to why some folks are able to get smooth HULU while others get to watch a terribly choppy mess.

In the end I've determined it must have something to do with how the flash player is called/implemented.

I also suspect it has to do with the hundreds of variables that can differ from system to system. Particular combinations of graphics card and chipset. For example, it's interesting to see various people running the G45, X4500, Intel chipset are able to get smooth HULU. It's all counter intuitive. I was finally able to get smooth HULU via the browser, FF and IE, so I don't think they are the problem.

Interestingly my HULU Desktop as well as Boxee are a choppy mess. I do know from observation that both of these front ends make a call to IE for flash. I don't understand why the playback would be OK in IE but not in these front ends...

What I've learned:

1: You have to have enough CPU, but overkill won't help. I went from an E5200 ~ 50% ute to a Q9550 ~20% ute no help.

2: Getting a more powerful GPU might help. Went from integrated nForce 9300 to ATI 4670, was able to get smoother browser playback. I've also noticed people with uber graphics cards report smooth playback.

3: Check your network config. You have to have a good connection, high speed, but it must also have good latency ect...

4: Make sure you have the right drivers/BIOS. Normally this means the latest, but in some cases means the most stable.

5: Make sure you don't have background bandwidth robbing apps: A good example are bit torrents. If you don't have a large amount of bandwidth to begin with, you have to pay special attention to this factor.

In the end I believe the key to smooth hulu is the config, not so much the brute force... This means, hardware chosen to work together as well as software on the system...

Mike

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well, in my case it seems pretty obvious. It was working fine in Internet explorer with this machine, give it a flash update and it broke, suddenly got choppy when running it in internet explorer.

Only one thing changed so it was easy to identify what caused the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-Z /forum/post/16958649

system specs? Probably only way we're ever going to figure this one out.

Vid card, driver version and flash version probably will be the most important ones, but feel free to include anything else (CPU, chipset, etc.)

Q6700 @ 3.8

8 GB XMS2 DDR2 @ 800

GTX 260 driver 186.18

EVGA 750i FTW Board

Sorry don't know what version Flash I am using. Just probably the latest from Adobe.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The only way i could get smooth playback in VMC was to use playon and have it transcode the video. viewing it in VMC required a playon plugin.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just downloaded the Hulu desktop and now get smooth playback. Wow, I didn't expect that to happen. Now why aren't all the Hulu programs on the desktop? Season 1 and 2 of chuck, are available at hulu.com, but only season 2 with hulu desktop. I'm going to do some more serious testing. I agree with the notion that we should all critique the same clip.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsoggy /forum/post/16960431

I just downloaded the Hulu desktop and now get smooth playback.
Quote:

AMD x2 5050e

4GB Ram

Vista x64

and ATI 4550

No Fair!!
I got a Q9550 at 3.6ghz 4890, W7 x64 and 8GB RAM and it stutters in Hulu Desktop lol

When you say "smooth"... does that mean 0 stutters or dropped frames? Any way you can share your flash and driver ver. #s?

--

I think I still got xp sp3 on dual boot... i'll try it on that OS see if it runs fine on that.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:

I just downloaded the Hulu desktop and now get smooth playback. Wow, I didn't expect that to happen. Now why aren't all the Hulu programs on the desktop? Season 1 and 2 of chuck, are available at hulu.com, but only season 2 with hulu desktop. I'm going to do some more serious testing. I agree with the notion that we should all critique the same clip.

I get good chop from this clip It's a plain old 480p SD 4:3 clip, but has a good deal of panning. That's where you see the majority of choppiness.

Mike

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since MPEG2 compressed and encoded video consists of full frames and change frames the bandwidth required for Panning or lots of motion content is much higher then for content with few if any changes like news broadcasts from a studio. This also requires more work by your sysems decoder software or hardware.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.