AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I was wondering if someone could educate me on frame interpolation, aka picture "smoothing" features found on newer TVs.

I first saw it in a Best Buy years back, and I own a 2010 60" LG Plasma which I really enjoy.. however, its almost time to upgrade and I really want a TV with this feature for video games.

I play a lot of PC games especially... and I was wondering if when this feature is on, does it work on videogames? I would love that smoothing effect for games, because blurring bothers me terribly on TV.... I have even considered going back to a CRT just for gaming to avoid motion blur.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob1.0  /t/1521101/smooth-picture-motion-blur-interpolation/0_60#post_24442029

Howdy all. I was wondering if someone could educate me on frame interpolation, aka picture "smoothing" features found on newer TVs.

I first saw it in a Best Buy years back, and I own a 2010 60" LG Plasma which I really enjoy.. however, its almost time to upgrade and I really want a TV with this feature for video games.

I play a lot of PC games especially... and I was wondering if when this feature is on, does it work on videogames? I would love that smoothing effect for games, because blurring bothers me terribly on TV.... I have even considered going back to a CRT just for gaming to avoid motion blur.

You're not alone about motion blur (and frame rates).  It's a HUGE topic that aleady exists here and there at AVS.  Seriously, a very big conversation.

I'm short on time right now, so I can't give you a quick run-down, but If you're interested in getting a good handle on the blur mitigation / motion processing, I'd strongly suggest checking out Mark Rejhon's site dedicated precisely to this: blurbusters.com.  A lot of information there.

Google/search tags to help:

"sample and hold"

Interpolation

LightBoost

MotionFlow Impulse

Backlight Scanning

120Hz (native)

frame rate

1 - 2 of 2 Posts