AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help with a problem I have with a new HTPC using an FX 5700 Ultra?

I've had HTPCs for some time and I'm on my 3rd projector, so I have some experience at setting them up, however I use Radeon 9600s in my previous machines, this new one is using an FX 5700 as a trial for a 6600 when they come out.

In the past, when I've used Powerstrip to get 1:1 mapping with the projector I've got a pin-sharp image, with clearly 1-for-1 pixel mapping. In particular, black text on a grey background shows just 1 row of pixels black and the rest gray.

However, with the 5700, even though I'm setting it at 1024x576 (the resolution of my projector) the image is 'smudged', for want of a better term.

What's happening is that as well as the row of black pixels, on vertical lines there's a row of dark-grey ones in the next column, for horizontal lines the greys are the row below. Similar effects are present for all colors. Twiddling the 'Sharpness' slider diminishes the effect but doesn't eliminate it, at setting 1 is best, higher settings start to add white lines (presumably conventional 'ringing').

I'm running the card in clone mode to a CRT monitor and that is showing no such blurring. The cable I'm using is a 9m BetterCables DVI-D, the same one I use on my other 9600-based HTPC which is not suffering from this, so I'm excluding the cable.

I've tried both the native 1024x576 setting in the nVidia control panel as well as trying Powerstrip (with the same settings I used on the 9600), no go.

Has anyone any ideas as to what's causing this? I can't say I'm noticing this sort of blurring when watching DVDs, though it's hard to find a frame where there are single pixel rows as easy to visually isolate.

Cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I just spent 2 hours fiddling around and have come to the conclusion the 5700 is not as good a card as the 9600, or at the very least it doesn't play well with my Sharp Z200E projector.

I Ghosted the system back to before installing the drivers, I then took out the 5700 and put in my 9600 Ultimate (fanless, 'pipe' based cooler). I installed the Catalyst 4.3 drivers ('cos those were the ones I had to hand), then Powerstrip and selected 1025x576 (HDTV-derived PAL, the only 'p' flavour of 1024x576 in the list) .. result was pin-sharp 1:1 mapping, vertical black lines were 1 pixel wide with no 'smearing' to the pixel on the right.

Re-Ghosted, put in the 5700, installed 66.81 and Powerstrip, selected the same resolution .. result was smearing again. Vertical black lines have a column of dark grey to the right, and to the right of those are a column of lighter-than-normal grey. Adjusting the 'sharpness' control reduces the dark-grey.

Since this only seems to be happening on the DVI output I have to conclude that either the 5700's transmitter is poor, or the timing is off, or there's some other aspect of the settings set by Powerstrip I don't understand .. whatever, it just won't work well with my projector.

The only explanation I have for the effect is that the projector doesn't think it's getting 1:1 mapping and is kicking in its' scaler, hence what I'm seeing is in fact dithering done in the projector, because I'm not seeing this on the cloned CRT.

So I guess I'll have to keep the Radeon and forgo a 6600GT which is what I was hoping to get to complement the new nVidia decoders. :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm presuming that the 6600 will be similar to the 5700 when used with my projector. I think I used 'Advanced Timings' to set 1024x576 as a second try after finding Powerstrip didn't work .. can't recall where that is in the CP at the moment.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The sharpness control causes smudging to the right of a pixel. It should be set to no sharpening. Short of that, you got something weird going on. My desktop was much clearer with Nvidia than with Radeon.

Brian

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With sharpness set to 0 the smudging is a lot worse than clicking it one notch to the right. I'd love to put it down to a problematic card but at present can't lay my hands on another as cheaply. Who knows, maybe it's a problem with the card in the ASUS mobo I have it in, something the Radeon doesn't have a problem with.

Tell me Brian, how can one 1:1 mapping be clearer than another, I don't understand how that can happen?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Vern Dias
BTW, you maybe should try the "Advanced Timings" button if it's present on your NVidia CP.
Couldn't see any button marked like that Vern, the panel where I was able to enter the 1024x576 resolutions in particular had no other adjustements.

I've tried fiddling with Powerstrip and while those adjustments affect the image on the CRT that on the projector seems impervious to any fiddlings at all.

So, at present I'm trying to decide if this smudging is only occuring on desktop apps, which won't be a problem for me, or whether it's also affecting DVD playback .. which I suppose it should in theory. If it does then I'll ahve to consider trying to get my hands on a 6800 to test in the hope the problem is just with the 5700.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just FYI I see the exact same issue with my eVGA FX5700 and my Panasonic plasma (VGA). What sharpness control are you referring to? The only one I can find is the one used for 3d acceleration. My Matrox G400 had perfect pixels.

-- Rob

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust your display phase. Most fixed pixel devices have some sort of adjustment. Sometimes it automatic.....

If your CRT image is perfect, then it's not the card....

Different cards have slightly different sync timings...

Vern

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rob: on the Color Adjustements tab (or something like that) there's a 'Sharpness Slider' towards the bottom.

Vern: okay, those are the 'positive/negative' values in Powerstrip, yes? I use the same PStrip setting for both the ATI and nVidia though, so I'd assume the signal the cards would generate would be the same. Still, I didn't try fiddling with those, I fiddled with most of the other values and the image on the DLP didn't change at all even though the CRT image did alter.

Could it be a DVI problem? I suppose I could connect it to my 1280x1024 LCD monitor and see, would that be similar to the DLP?

[edit]

Well, I fiddled with the 'polarity' settings, made no difference. On the projector there are a couple of signal controls but they're disabled with DVI input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.