AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I’m hearing the links to the Somfy motors aren’t working any more. Hopefully we can keep this going, there are alternate sources including Amazon and Florida Automated Shade.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I’m hearing the links to the Somfy motors aren’t working any more. Hopefully we can keep this going, there are alternate sources including Amazon and Florida Automated Shade.

Any more updates to share on the projector screen build? I love the progress and I am dying to see the final result. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Any more updates to share on the projector screen build? I love the progress and I am dying to see the final result. Keep up the great work!
I know, I’m slacking off! I’m waiting to finish the room to a certain point before putting the screen material up. It’s agonizing, I have the screen in a tube.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
This is a bit longer, hopefully not too slow and long.

I have a few ideas for making the masking fabric a bit better, as far as horizontal support, but it is good enough at this point that I don’t think it’s worth the effort and complexity. Maybe if it starts showing problems I can rework it but it is pretty good at this point. I think if I use webbing or a cable as in the early design, and attach the fabric only to the webbing and not the roller, it could help. The issue then is that once there is weight on the webbing I’d need some sort of collar or spool on the roller to keep the webbing from sagging and spiraling down the roller.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Just a FYI SMX screens (Brand Name) was an industry embarrassment. Several people were left with nothing to show for their prepayments.
Yes, thanks. It was pointed out earlier but at this point I don’t think I want to go re-edit all of my videos to change the name. Maybe some day I might get the motivation.

·
Registered
JVC DLA-X790 Proj, Marantz SR8012 Amp, Monitor Audio Silver 300/350/W12, Elune Vision 150" 2:35:1
45 Posts
Amazing work. Just watched the videos. I also have a CIH screen.. Looking at building custom masking as well. I might take a different approach. When I’ve thought it out, I’ll start a thread to document. Creative juices are flowing.

·
Registered
JVC DLA-X790 Proj, Marantz SR8012 Amp, Monitor Audio Silver 300/350/W12, Elune Vision 150" 2:35:1
45 Posts
So, I have come up with an idea for my CIH masking system for my fixed screen on the wall (2.35:1 150" EluneVision). It's affordable, easily made from existing devices and controllable from my automation which is anchored in Smartthings. I can opt for Zigbee or Z-wave controllable devices.

To start, I found this curtain system from Zemismart, but I will not control curtains. Instead, I will control hanging rigid panels that are covered in light absorbing material such as black velvet or Protostar Black Flock Material. The curtain rail system is configurable to open from the centre and drawing to the left and right simultaneously.

Here is youtube of the Zemismart system:

I will then cover the rail system with more blackout material on a board, followed by decorative curtains on each side. I made a sketchup of my design and uploaded youtube showing how it comes together:

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So, I have come up with an idea for my CIH masking system for my fixed screen on the wall (2.35:1 150" EluneVision). It's affordable, easily made from existing devices and controllable from my automation which is anchored in Smartthings. I can opt for Zigbee or Z-wave controllable devices.

To start, I found this curtain system from Zemismart, but I will not control curtains. Instead, I will control hanging rigid panels that are covered in light absorbing material such as black velvet or Protostar Black Flock Material. The curtain rail system is configurable to open from the centre and drawing to the left and right simultaneously.

I will then cover the rail system with more blackout material on a board, followed by decorative curtains on each side. I made a sketchup of my design and uploaded youtube showing how it comes together:

What do you think?
Sounds like a good idea. There are several ideas floating around, some have used linear actuators or stepper motors. A belt drive system would probably work as well. From what I’ve seen the actuators and steppers are slower and noisier but probably more precise as far as positioning. They all have their own pros and cons and fit different builds for different reasons.

You should start a build thread once you get going!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. There are several ideas floating around, some have used linear actuators or stepper motors. A belt drive system would probably work as well. From what I’ve seen the actuators and steppers are slower and noisier but probably more precise as far as positioning. They all have their own pros and cons and fit different builds for different reasons.

You should start a build thread once you get going!
Thanks for the encouragement :). It will be my next project and I will start a thread. Just finishing a bathroom and just finished a garage. I'll likely order the bits I need over the next days :). Seeing it to scale and functional in sketchup has told me it's viable :)

·
Registered
776 Posts

What do you think?
So where’s the thread?

Sounds like you have a similar screen to me and similar ideas, will be interesting to see how you get on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For a quiet step motor, look for trinamic motor controller

Envoyé de mon LG-H873 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Your theater......it's beautiful. Well done.

Reactions: sor

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is stunning. You may have already answered this, where in your home did you get that height?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
That is stunning. You may have already answered this, where in your home did you get that height?
The raw height of the room was 12’ 4”, put under the garage. The lot slopes away on that side of the home so in reality it’s only 4’ or so below grade, didn’t have to excavate quite that much. In fact we would have had to build up to fill in the garage foundation.

This shot is facing the same direction, the concrete side of the home there would be the left wall of the theater in the shots above. You can see my theater mini split there as well.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts