AVS Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
ohhh, really? I avoided the velvet for the mask cause it's technically not AT, and my masks definitely go in front of my speakers for most aspect ratios. and yeah, I can see how working with the Baritone could sag a lot more. the Millibel is pretty stiff in comparison.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, I thought I'd measure, since I have the tools and the the material available at the moment (I just draped my Fidelio velvet over the front of the screen; I haven't built my trim pieces yet so I have a quite a bit uncut). From my prime seating position, using Anthem Room Correction mic and software:

CenterStage UF: 66.57dB
CenterStage UF + Millibel: 66.48dB
CenterStage UF + Fidelio Velvet: 62.09dB
CenterStage UF + Millibel + Fidelio Velvet: 61.97dB

Pink is with Millibel and Fidelio. Blue is Millibel only. And green is screen only. (I didn't bother getting one with Fidelio but no Millibel, because I'm being lazy and don't want to lift the velvet again).

So... yes the Millibel is significantly more AT than Fidelio. The Millibel is pretty dang AT. The difference mostly matters in the upper half of the frequency response graph - below that they're about the same.

I could easily have separate speaker EQ profiles for if the masks are in front of the speakers or not, and automatically select the correct one depending on the mask state. So... next question - where did you get your Baritone from? SeymourAV only has it in 60" on their website. My screen is 75" tall, plus a bit of extra. And if my math is right, you're ~80" tall.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
So, I thought I'd measure, since I have the tools and the the material available at the moment (I just draped my Fidelio velvet over the front of the screen; I haven't built my trim pieces yet so I have a quite a bit uncut). From my prime seating position, using Anthem Room Correction mic and software:

CenterStage UF: 66.57dB
CenterStage UF + Millibel: 66.48dB
CenterStage UF + Fidelio Velvet: 62.09dB
CenterStage UF + Millibel + Fidelio Velvet: 61.97dB

View attachment 3133098

Pink is with Millibel and Fidelio. Blue is Millibel only. And green is screen only. (I didn't bother getting one with Fidelio but no Millibel, because I'm being lazy and don't want to lift the velvet again).

So... yes the Millibel is significantly more AT than Fidelio. The Millibel is pretty dang AT. The difference mostly matters in the upper half of the frequency response graph - below that they're about the same.

I could easily have separate speaker EQ profiles for if the masks are in front of the speakers or not, and automatically select the correct one depending on the mask state. So... next question - where did you get your Baritone from? SeymourAV only has it in 60" on their website. My screen is 75" tall, plus a bit of extra. And if my math is right, you're ~80" tall.
I used the baritone flipped 90°. The mask is tall but only needs to be about 40” wide to take scope down to 4:3, so a 60” wide fabric is more than enough, even considering an extra bit to wrap around the roller.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used the baritone flipped 90°. The mask is tall but only needs to be about 40” wide to take scope down to 4:3, so a 60” wide fabric is more than enough, even considering an extra bit to wrap around the roller.
2.40:1 screen, 180"x75"
4:3 screen, 100"x75"
Width difference: 80". Divide by two masks = 40" wide per mask. Ok yeah, that's plenty in the baritone (or even the speaker grill material). I think I didn't even think of that because originally I was trying to mask it to 100% closed. Silly me. Hmmm... what to do, what to do?

·
Registered
38 Posts
@sor , Just came across this thread. You have done excellent work. The screen is amazing., I am currently building a similar aluminum extrusion frame screen with a 2.0 aspect ratio and 132" width. I am using 1.25" x 1.25" Omni branded extrusion (Same as 30 series from 8020 but thicker gauge). for frame.

My question is, your middle verticle supports are mounted flush with the top and bottom horizontal frame since they are the same thickness. Are those verticle supports interfere with the screen fabric? I mean, do they protrude and create a visible crease in the screen?

BTW, I am also using Seymour XD material for my screen. with black spandex as a backing (just in case). I'm planning to use the spline (or similar material) method to friction fit the material in the channels and wrap around excess material. How do you like the XD screen material?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
@sor , Just came across this thread. You have done excellent work. The screen is amazing., I am currently building a similar aluminum extrusion frame screen with a 2.0 aspect ratio and 132" width. I am using 1.25" x 1.25" Omni branded extrusion (Same as 30 series from 8020 but thicker gauge). for frame.

My question is, your middle verticle supports are mounted flush with the top and bottom horizontal frame since they are the same thickness. Are those verticle supports interfere with the screen fabric? I mean, do they protrude and create a visible crease in the screen?

BTW, I am also using Seymour XD material for my screen. with black spandex as a backing (just in case). I'm planning to use the spline (or similar material) method to friction fit the material in the channels and wrap around excess material. How do you like the XD screen material?
No, the screen doesn’t even touch the supports. The grommets lift the material off the frame maybe 2mm and the screen is quite tight. If you’re concerned you could also probably place some washers or nylon spacers under the grommets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No, the screen doesn’t even touch the supports. The grommets lift the material off the frame maybe 2mm and the screen is quite tight. If you’re concerned you could also probably place some washers or nylon spacers under the grommets.
Got it. Grommets definitely helps. Unfortunately, I already purchased the screen material without grommet, since I was not sure about the final screen size. I'm planning to use the spline in the T-slot. So, I might not have enough clearance. although the extrusions are dead straight, so it shouldn't be an issue. Other options are either recessed the middle support (mount behind the top and bottom frame) or use the 1x 4 wood for middle supports.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Got it. Grommets definitely helps. Unfortunately, I already purchased the screen material without grommet, since I was not sure about the final screen size. I'm planning to use the spline in the T-slot. So, I might not have enough clearance. although the extrusions are dead straight, so it shouldn't be an issue. Other options are either recessed the middle support (mount behind the top and bottom frame) or use the 1x 4 wood for middle supports.
I don’t think it would make any difference if it were flush, honestly. I suspect it wouldn’t be difficult to find a way to lift the screen off the frame a tiny bit either, if it were an issue (just some washers in between the screen and frame at the attachment points or some other kind of spacer). Or if you’re using mounting plates that sit on the back of the frame you could recess the vertical supports a bit by adding washers under the mounting plates.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don’t think it would make any difference if it were flush, honestly. I suspect it wouldn’t be difficult to find a way to lift the screen off the frame a tiny bit either, if it were an issue (just some washers in between the screen and frame at the attachment points or some other kind of spacer). Or if you’re using mounting plates that sit on the back of the frame you could recess the vertical supports a bit by adding washers under the mounting plates.
Agreed. That's my plan. I already built the frame. if the middle supports protrude, I will add 1/8" thick spacer around the perimeter. Washer is a good idea if used with T shape plates, but I used inner corner brackets for mounting.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I bought my screen with grommets, but somebody on here did their own grommets and it seemed relatively painless. I think it might have been @sor ; or @pyrobuilder ; but I’m not sure.

I have been making my roller curtains and I put grommets in my triple black velvet to make them easier to attach. I can tell you that doing grommets is pretty easy after a few practice ones. Ask the screen company for a sample size of your screen to practice on and then get a grommet kit off of amazon or at a local hardware store. They come with a hole punch and thing you hammer the grommet into to press the 2 sides together and clamp the material

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 112 of 112 Posts