AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrade itch has started and while researching I stumbled upon the Smyth Realiser 8. http://smyth-research.com/technology.html

In a nutshell, microphones are placed in your ears and measurements are made with any system that you want to profile. This measurement is customized to your anatomy. A pair of Stax headphones are used to accurately reproduce the sonic signature of any system.

It was recently reviewed by Kal in Stereophile: http://stereophile.com/content/music-round-45 . I read this and other reviews linked on the Smyth web page plus 60+ pages of posts at head-fi. Users have visited mastering centers such as AIX and recreated their state of the art systems with the Realiser. Posts from those that have tried the system have been amazingly positive.

I'm wondering if folks used to a true high end system will be as satisfied with the sonic experience. It would appear that if you combine a good sub with the headphone system that you could have a million dollar theater in any home. Could this be the answer to creating a truly reference HT experience for us all?

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN
Could this be the answer to creating a truly reference HT experience for us all?
Yes if you can stand wearing headphones. I can't.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Thats the idea I had were I could sell a Smyth with several high end systems( Helene, Prometheus and Skoll) programmed into it. Unfortunately the monkey wrench is the ir head tracker system is taken down by 3D Ir systems.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/19606125

Thats the idea I had were I could sell a Smyth with several high end systems( Helene, Prometheus and Skoll) programmed into it. Unfortunately the monkey wrench is the ir head tracker system is taken down by 3D Ir systems.

I usually defeated the IR tracker anyway. I found it too distracting.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

Quote:

Did you sell any of those Sim2/Dolby set-ups into those new appartments, BTW...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX
Peter,

Have you ever demoed the system? Did it perform as advertised?

Dave

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kal,

You mention in your review about the physical sensation of your subs being absent. Do you think that it can be effectively restored by integrating the subs and the headphones via the sub out channel?

Dave

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN /forum/post/19607721

Kal,

You mention in your review about the physical sensation of your subs being absent. Do you think that it can be effectively restored by integrating the subs and the headphones via the sub out channel?

Dave

Yes. Certainly.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Are you able to share/download "profiles" from another user? For example, if I had a Realiser, would I be able to load Kal's "system" into it? If so, could it be done via email or something? I'm very interested in this! Or does my HRTF actually have to be measured in that room for it to work?

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 /forum/post/19610023

Are you able to share/download "profiles" from another user?

Officially, no because the system and HRTF are measured together. However, my wife thought that the sound with my calibration worked very well for her and that was without any tweaking.

Quote:
For example, if I had a Realiser, would I be able to load Kal's "system" into it?

It will cost you.

·
Registered
22,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19605316

Yes if you can stand wearing headphones. I can't.

Back when I once had Koss Electrostatic headphones (circa 1974 - 1980), I always laid down listening to music. HA!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19610532

Officially, no because the system and HRTF are measured together. However, my wife thought that the sound with my calibration worked very well for her and that was without any tweaking.

It will cost you.

Hmm, that wouldn't be a bad business for you, but if I'm going to pay, I think I'd ask Harry first lol sorry. At least for 2 channel, I'd pay for your multichannel setup

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/19610795

Back when I once had Koss Electrostatic headphones (circa 1974 - 1980), I always laid down listening to music. HA!

But the Smyth head-tracker only works in the horizontal plane. HA!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:

Peter, Ive exchanged with a few contacts who work in post, including 2 currently at Todd AO, who have tried this unit. All stated that it was absolutely NOT capable of delivering a result that they would deem acceptable. "An interesting novelty" was how it was described by one.

I did mention that it had been reviewed, and had garnered positive feedback, in some "audiophile" circles. The forthcoming reply was, perhaps understandably, derisory to say the least. I can PM you more detail if required.

I will have an opportunity to test this unit before Christmas, and will drop you the skinny.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I actually have one here, to be honest I do not see how it can withstand the dynamics of very loud music. I still haven't gotten around to sticking microphones in my ear yet.

As it comes off the box it is programmed for a smaller theater setting, playing a midi file, the out of the head effect is great on the surround channels but as the smaple comes around to the center channel I STILL CAN'T SEPARATE the center channel out of my forehead. Someone from the competing German surround company said my ears may not be ideal for such separation.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/19613063

I actually have one here, to be honest I do not see how it can withstand the dynamics of very loud music. I still haven't gotten around to sticking microphones in my ear yet.

As it comes off the box it is programmed for a smaller theater setting, playing a midi file, the out of the head effect is great on the surround channels but as the smaple comes around to the center channel I STILL CAN'T SEPARATE the center channel out of my forehead. Someone from the competing German surround company said my ears may not be ideal for such separation.

I have plowed through a few hundred pages reading up on the product and the one point that is repeatedly made is that you absolutely must make the measurements in your ears for this to work. They send a sample file just so folks can get some sound out of the system.

The people that are most enthusiastic have traveled to CA to personalize their systems at two mastering studios and a large theater. It appears that a basic setup of measurements can be made in under 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/19613063

What would you expect if you didn't even bother to do the HRTF measurements yet? That's the whole point of the box.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.