AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to add a second dish for reception of the 82 bird for BEV. I ran across this while shopping on the net...
http://budgetsatellite.com/lnb.htm

My question is ... is this B.S. or would it be worth the money? I also thought I might try this one with my current lnb...
http://www.spectravox.com/spectravox/ds2078.html

The price on the second one is great and I am leaning that way.... any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
At three times the price of a standard LNB I doubt It will be a truly significant improvement. Higher gain = more noise even in a lower base temp amp. The only benefit would be higher reliablity and the longer warranty. The best way to get higher gain is with a larger dish.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Ditto. Gain above the amount engineered into the consumer LNBs is superfluous. There are C-band PLL LNBs that have less frequency drift and less "phase noise" (which is a whole 'nother animal) than do consumer-grade LNBs and which work better with MPEG receivers, but the DBS LNBs were engineered for the DBS receivers and there is no reason to believe that a signal amplified a few dB more would be a better quality signal. It would more likely be inferior to the signal from an off-the-shelf LNB.

Buy at 30" reflector for $60 or so instead.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the 30" and a single lnb for the 82 bev bird do I have to worry about skew or just set the elevation and sweep for the signal?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also if they do not have the "d" tube model can I use the other and a D* lnb?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
NOTE: 24" Dishes are aimed about 3 degrees higher than 18" dishes. This may help to get over trees and other obstructions
Anyone notice this statement?

When I see such an obvious and glaring stupid claim like this, I tend to dismiss everything said in the entire piece.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
With any single satellite DBS install you dont use any skew. And yes, if necessary you can use a D* lnb for Bev/Dish (except the Sat C lnb of course).

For a long time I was using an old Sony/D* 18" dish/lnb for Bev at 91. At the same time I was using a Dish500 for 61.5 from Dish. But then a couple years ago I decided I wanted to use the same dish for both 91/101 so I switched the 2 dishes. Now the simple D* 18" points at 61.5, and I get 82/91/101 off the Dish500.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Sounds like pure B.S. to me. As for the failure rate on LNBs, i don't think that's an issue. I have been following these NGs for years, ever since DTV first came out several years ago. The failure rate is very small on the std. LNBs, why pay many times more for a pricy one that won't do any more?

My borther still has the original LNB and RCA box that first came out with DTV . He signed up a month after they started selling.

I got DTV about a year later when the 2nd generation RCA box came out. Same equipment incl. cable all these years w. no problem.

My BEV system has been running fine for 15 months and just added a 24" dish. I am sure that the 24" for 82 would be fine for you. I think a user on this NG in Champaign, Il. is using a 24" for 82 w. good results. Do a search here to locate him.

...mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.