AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother asked me to take his old Cerwin Vega LW-12 subwoofer last night because he has been having problems with it. He thought a friend's son might have messed with the settings on the back of the sub.

After listening to it that isn't the problem. Anytime bass is playing there is snapping, crackling, and popping. It isn't power interference because it happens at his house and mine.

I tried different phase, crossover, and line-in settings to no avail. I'm guessing his amp has gone bad. Does this sound like a reasonable assessment?

I'm wondering what his best option would be. The sub is several years old and not under warranty. I'm wondering if anyone knows much about this sub and could possibly suggest a replacement amp. Anything more than a small cost probably wouldn't be worth it though.

He has been yearning for an SVS since he first heard mine. This, coincidentally, is when his sub first started acting up... :) I'm guessing a new sub will be in his best interest.

Comments or opinions?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Probably an amp issue I think.

Be a good brother and help him get an SVS. Better yet...sell him yours and you upgrade!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Amplifiers age and wear out, like most appliances. It's not surprising that an old subwoofer is showing signs of this. Fortunately, there are plenty of options. If you were handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron, you could certainly buy a new amp and retrofit it. But since you're a SVS owner, you already know that subwoofer technology has come a long way in recent years and price/performance ratios are getting better every day.

If he's got budget for a new subwoofer, I'd probably start there. His older unit may not be worth saving from a cost standpoint.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
Be a good brother and help him get an SVS. Better yet...sell him yours and you upgrade!
He's been trying to talk me into that. :) Anything more than I have would destroy my tiny room though. When I get a real house I will have a dedicated home theater and plan to go all out. I see a B4-Plus or dual PB2 Ultras in my future. Heck, by the time I get a nice house there is no telling what SVS will be offering.

My brother and sister-in-law just had their first child on Tuesday. Now isn't really a good time for a subwoofer budget. His birthday is next month so I plan to get him a gift certificate to SVS. That will at least get him started.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently bought the Cerwin Vega CVT-300S.

Pairing it with a Dayton 12" Titanic MKII in a 3Cu Foot sealed Box.

(Thank you rlj5242 for the help in my previous threads.)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing his amp has gone bad. Does this sound like a reasonable assessment?
Have you tried pushing in the cone of the driver to see if it travels smoothly? I've had some old speakers melt a voice coil and it will stick to the inside of the magnet. Some sound still came out but it was heavily distored.

-Robert

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't tried that. I will right now though. The sub is in the back of my Blazer.

Do you happen to know if installing the new amp will require soldering? My old Sony SA-WM40 had the leads soldered. I don't think the SVS is built that way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just took the sub apart. The cone moves freely. Also, it is not soldered. The wires slip right off. Should make installation of the new amp a breeze.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.