AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on if i should be worrying...got a panny 42wd5, love it, but i have been noticing upon startup and for about a hour or so after, the unit makes a light popping noise, its more a snap similiar to the sound of snapping fingers, but it happens sporadically, the picture is unaffected though. Now, i'll say this, i have never noticed this to take place until i got my HD2000 and hooked the unit up via the RGB, so im watching my tv signals via the PC mode on the plasma, could that be causing it or is it time for a warranty call? Any help is welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I've gotten that perodically with my 4UY. I always thought it might be the display warming up in a cool room or a temperature change in the room (like opening the door on a cold day), but I can't say it's that for sure. It also happens sometimes a few minutes after I've turned off the display. I never really worried about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I notice the same on 5WD - It sounds like relays clicking on as the unit wamrs up. Can't say without a schematic, but I know the sound of relays when I hear them :) I would'nt be concerned - unless one starts buzzing.

H.

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
there were reports on this a few months ago:

those reports indicated a purely mechanical/structural cause for this: as the display warms up the structure flexes as it expands- that is the noise you hear

not a defect, but annoying to some: I recall the 3UY did it more than the 4UY

Mark

·
Registered
33,555 Posts
Mark is correct, this phenomena is described in my Fujitsu manual. It is only the flexing of the case, nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My Panasonic makes noises like this - my guess is that it's due to the expansion and contraction of various parts as they heat and cool. I was a little concerned at first - in fact, I looked at the screen to see if it was starting to crack - but now I agree with the posts above that it is nothing to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.