1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this rack mounted surge protector that looks very helpful:

WB-600-SVCE-12

The WattBox is a 12 outlet rack mount power strip with some special features:

1. Outlets that are triggered with 12 volt trigger (in and out trigger present)

2. Basic surge protection

3. rack mounted hidden inside the rack

4. power sequencer so that the outlets turn on one by one once turned on - this prevents multiple amps (if you don't have a soft start) from tripping a breaker.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Are you looking for one or for more information on it?

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but i just ordered a pair from my local installer. Just thought it was a good product idea with practical applications.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just finished installing these and it makes the rack so much cleaner. 12 volt triggers are great and the power sequencer is great since my breaker sometimes trips if i turn all the amps on at once. Unfortunately, my amps

don't have soft start circuits and benefit from the power sequencer. The color and overall appearance is nice. The quality of the plastic for the orange receptacles is so-so but gets the job done.

I plugged these each into my furman balanced power conditioner.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Here is the pair of them installed. As you notice i used the pieces themselves to manage the wiring. The are mounted recessed a couple of inches which the mounting hardware allows.

Truly these are designed with a home audio

rack in mind. Pricey but I think they fill a niche.

I would have bought the IP based product but

I prefer to have 12volt triggers in my particular setup so I don't have to have an integrator come out just to make minor changes when I swap equipment or whatever. I have no doubt that the IP controllable product has advantages in complex installations.

Very few products are likely to offer IP control at this price. In general "lower priced" rack solutions are "pro audio" oriented and don't even cover 12 volt triggers. Why manufacturers offer so many different products instead of making one truly great one and mass producing it ... Is beyond my understanding.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a side note, very short power cords can be found on monoprice and other sites that allow you to cleanly manage your wiring. I think my cords are around 2ft long and I have a couple that are 1 foot long. Airflow in the rack as well as cleaning dust can be more easily managed with short cords.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts