U.S. cheapskates at AVS Forum begin chanting:

4-3-4-c-m-x

5-0-4-c-m-x

A-S-A-P-rah-rah-rah

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Thanks Brucer.

I found this very informative indeed. I am a little confused on the release date though. What do you foresee?

Dave

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Dave I agree it is getting more confusing on release date. Joe was previously stating that the UK would be seeing the MXE (CMX) in the 1Q of 2004, now this has slid to 2Q. (Bummer)

Joe has also stated (I don't recall which thread) that the MXE(CMX) versions will retain a similar appearence to the current 503 chassis, but will be more 'rugged looking" - whatever that means.

I was intrigued by the follow up post of the 'bloke' who put his money down now for a 504 and the dealer is loaning him a 503 in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Also found the "loaner 503" post interesting. If that is a practibe they are willing to start here in the States - probably would move alot of folks off the fence and onto the fields.

Theerse

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Big disappointment for me since I really can't wait untill 2Q '04. 6uy or 503...tick-tock, tick-tock.

By the way, any 503 owners have buzzing issues? In another thread someone was saying the 6uy had a fairly loud buzz. Granted that's a subjective statement, but I don't seem to remember any 503 buzzing threads...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Search for (using Slowest Search), the following thread:

Username: rogo

Title: The Saga of the Buzzing Pioneer

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yes there were a number of 503cmx buzzing threads. Mine does not buzz. Some have said it depends on the altitude of the manufacturing facility vs. your altitude. In NYC you are at a low altitude and I image you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Search for (using Slowest Search), the following thread:

Username: rogo

Title: The Saga of the Buzzing Pioneer
haha this gives me nightmares..don't make me start singing garth brook songs again. ;)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
Joe was previously stating that the UK would be seeing the MXE (CMX) in the 1Q of 2004, now this has slid to 2Q. (Bummer)
By then,

Panasonic will be releasing Its 7th Generation Plasma with 5000:1 Contrast Ratio ,

"Hyper-Ultra" Real Black Drive System, 90000 hours life span and

one "gazillion" colors reproduction. http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/o...elrotflmao.gif

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by goombawa
I've come to the conclusion that the search feature sucks. No luck using the slowest search. :(

Since this website has gone thru several updates and refinements to try to limit operations that create a burden to the resources, the search function has changed.

My observations are that if you do a 'keyword only' based search (even with the slowest & longest setting & return results as posts) it will not necessarily return all posts that have been made. If on the other hand you repeat the same search and include the User id of the poster then it works.

Case in point, I did the slowest search on keywords "raining AND panny" and searched in the plasma forum only. The oldest post returned was dated 9-18-03. Next, I repeated the same procedure and included userid="Brucer" - low and behold - the only post returned was dated 11-02-01.

This does seem to hinder search efforts if you do not know 'who' posted what.

The best advice I can offer people is that if you read something that you think you will want to retreive later, then you can post a reply and flag it under your own username. Perhaps by giving in your reply your own secret code, (see above post title), or by repeating a particular keywood such as " loaner 503 ".

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks GB...you're a pro. ;)

Sooooo....rogo - did you finally figure out the buzz? The last post in that thread was dated 4/2 and was from you, but it was not a "final word". What's the scoop?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goombawa
Big disappointment for me since I really can't wait untill 2Q '04. 6uy or 503...tick-tock, tick-tock.

By the way, any 503 owners have buzzing issues? In another thread someone was saying the 6uy had a fairly loud buzz. Granted that's a subjective statement, but I don't seem to remember any 503 buzzing threads...
No buzzing here.

Jeff

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like my 503, but it does buzz. I hardly notice it anymore, but if I try to . It did bother me at first, (during silent or really quiet parts). I did call for service, they came and inspected it, the techs said they heard no un-ordinary buzzing, changed the power supply anyway, and it sounds the exact same.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
goombawa: I asked Pioneer for a new plasma. They declined. However, they bought back my plasma for the price paid (an odd decision on their part for a number of reasons but a satisfactory one).

I will tell you I measured the sound output from roughly 10 Pioneer plasmas in order to confirm mine was unusually noisy.

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Panasonic will be releasing Its 7th Generation Plasma with 5000:1 Contrast Ratio... 90000 hours life span
Point taken about the endless cycle of waiting. On a serious note, has Panasonic or Pioneer made any substantial advances this year with longevity (or are any expected next year)?. Last quote I saw was both mfrs advertising roughly 30,000 hours. I know your being facetious, but if anyone advertised 90,000 hours of life, I'd buy on the spot.

The two things that are making me hold off right now are the longevity issue and burn in (I play lots of console games). Still, I may jump around the middle of next year (right when the new Pioneers are releasing).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Originally posted by Destro

Point taken about the endless cycle of waiting. On a serious note, has Panasonic or Pioneer made any substantial advances this year with longevity (or are any expected next year)?. Last quote I saw was both mfrs advertising roughly 30,000 hours. I know your being facetious, but if anyone advertised 90,000 hours of life, I'd buy on the spot.

But as soon as you do, someone would come out with one that offered 500,000 hours of life, 1,690,000 x 1,000,000 (would that be 16x9?) resolution, and 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

That's the down side when displays enter the hi tech world. Used to be a TV was a TV, now it's more computer than TV, which means the same rules apply. Obsolescence in 2 years or less. Doesn't mean it won't be usable, just that bigger and better will have come along twice since you bought it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.