AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Biography this morning on Sharon Stone, when a commercial comes on a magazine called Hollywood Life. Sharon Stone was on the cover. Initially I thought it was part of the show until half way through it I realize it was a commercial.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
And that's somehow a bad thing? ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I see that happen a lot. The best example is SNL. If the host is, say, a movie actor, the very first commercial after the opening monologue is usually that's actor's current movie commercial.

I find it funny how my 5060 determines what a commercial is or not. I love the fact that it thinks that the Grateful Dead infomercial is an MTV2 program, so it doesn't CA it. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
And that's somehow a bad thing? ;)
Sharon Stone no, commercial yes. :p

·
Registered
627 Posts
It has to do with the way the Network sells the show. I'll try to summarize this...

On *some* shows when the studio that produces the show, they sell it to stations (or cable companies) with *some* commercials built in, then the station/cable operator injects their own commercials inbetween the studio's commercials and the show beginning. The replay may only notice the commercial break after the studio's commercial's.

Example:

[ Injected Station Commercial ] [ Fade to black ]

The Studio gives the station what is between the angle brackets in the example above.

The Commercial advance looks for those fade to blacks, sometimes the Studio commerical does not include that fade or it's briefer then the normal fade to black, and the CA algorythim doesn't recognize it.

Often times the Studio will "package" these commercials in that are directly targetted at the specific show you were watching, thus you get the Sharon Stone magazine commercial or the latest movie from the actor hosting SNL. Since the Studio knows exactly what is going to be on that particular episode, they can be very targetted on the type of commercial.

You will also notice that these "studio" commercials are always for nation wide products, so you will see commercials for dish soap, the latest movie, or tampax, but you will never see a commercial for your local super market or car dealership. These commercials will be played on every station that picks them up (nation wide and sometimes world wide) so they need to be a product that isn't specific to a region.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by luckychunk
The best example is SNL.
Speaking of SNL, in the late 1970ies I was home on Navy leave, watching SNL at my sister's house. I thought I was watching a commercial. It was about one of those race car kits (electric ones on a track). Anyhow, the car goes off the track and burst into flames. I said out loud, "What the hell kind of toy is that to give to a kid. He'll burn the damn house down." Then the meat wagon comes out, and I realized I've been had. :D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Let's face it. It's happening more and more. Between the blatant product placement in both TV and movies; the shameless promotion by high profile celebrities of products ranging from food to clothing and everything in-between (you do know when your watching a late night talk show and a celebrity "mentions" a specific brand name and product in a positive light, they're compensated VERY nicely by the manufacturer; some even get paid more for every "mention" of the product they can squeeze in), and the annoying 'crawls' with useless or pointless information, it's only a matter of time before the 30 second spots we're all so used too disappear into the programming; or worse, both. :(

I would imagine the initial assault; (the CA being removed), is only the first step. Once PVR's are mainstream, the networks have to have a way to make money. After all, in the end, it's all about the bottom line.

That's the American way.;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chain777
That's the American way.;)
And except for Survivor, I can pull the plug. That too is the American way.

·
Registered
615 Posts
>>Sneaky Way to Get Someone to Watch a Commercial

BHuy them a ReplayTV 5500 but tell them it's a 5000 with Commercial Advance. :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brianric
Speaking of SNL, in the late 1970ies I was home on Navy leave, watching SNL at my sister's house. I thought I was watching a commercial. It was about one of those race car kits (electric ones on a track). Anyhow, the car goes off the track and burst into flames. I said out loud, "What the hell kind of toy is that to give to a kid. He'll burn the damn house down." Then the meat wagon comes out, and I realized I've been had. :D

Until they came up with the pill for parents with gay sons, the meat wagon commercial was my favorite. That says a lot about how SNL fell short for so many years.

"Because he doesn't have the problem, you do!"

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The only thing that gets me watching commercials is putting a show in HD. I can only hope I'll be able to skip HD commercials someday soon!

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
She was so sexy in Basic Instinct. I just assumed I would find a girl like that, but now 35, I think I missed my boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.