AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted?

We got about 6" yesterday and last night.

It was very windy and my dish is up on the 3rd floor. Nobody would want to go do a re-alignemnt but is it likely the dish was moved due to the stormy winds or just snow??

I was out 1/2 of yesterday (on and off) and all night - still out now!

If my dish needs re-alignment, does DIRECTV pay for this??

I did reset it the receivers, but no luck

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Covers won't do a thing - however, heaters can help.

What is taking out the satellite reception is likely the wet snow.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
We often get several inches of snow on our 5-meter Ku downlink, which has a tight canvas "skin" cover on it. But, we only get significant losses when the snow is very wet, or has partially melted and retains liquid water. I've seen quite a bit of dry, powdery snow on there, with no loss of signal.

Norm Weinhouse, who is a satellite expert and creator of the NAB Satellite Uplink Operator Training Course, told us that the weight of the snow on the lower portion of a dish can often cause more signal loss, by off-pointing the dish, than the amount of overall snow....I don't know how much it can affect a small DBS dish, unless it's slighly off to start with. But, wet snow weighs a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
In addition to the above info...

If it does need realignment, at least in my case the first realignment was comped, but they told me any future realignments would be charged. After that, I got the equipment protection since we're in a very windy, snowy area (although the kid that did the realignment went way and above and replanted the mast with extra stabilization).

·
Registered
285 Posts
What we experienced in s.e. Michigan yesterday was a worst case scenario for your dish. Rain changing to

heavy wet snow followed by a rapid temperature drop. The wet snow probably formed a pretty good ice chunk on your dish.

My dish has snow and ice build up but I still have a picture probably because I just had a realignment a few weeks ago

and maybe a little luck.

In the past I've had to get a ladder and broom to get heavy snow off the dish but that wont help much with ice.

If you can safely get to the dish with a ladder you might try some rain-x winter washer fluid on the ice

but it's not worth the risk if it's hard to get to in this weather.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,681 Posts
It's probably the snow & ice on the dish and/or lnb's. If that doesn't fix it, reallignment is probably needed.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/19640265

It's probably the snow & ice on the dish and/or lnb's. If that doesn't fix it, reallignment is probably needed.

Thanks guys!

I didn't get a chance to look at it before I left for work, but there would be no way to clear it short of getting a crew out. It's likely 30+ ft from the ground and it is icy all about.

I hope it is better when I get home, or I'll have to call Directv. Will Directv handle this (send out someone) or should I find a private installer?

Thanks,

jeff

·
Super Moderator
18,719 Posts
Extension cord. Hair dryer. Really freakin' long piece of PVC pipe. Duct tape.

Enjoy!

I'm only half-joking. I have a brush attached to something very similar to use on mine, though even a pristine dish would have been of little use getting a signal through Sunday's snowstorm.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/19640265

Or.. snow and ice on tree limbs causing them to droop into the dish's boresight.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
A big black plastic garbage bag over the dish and tied at the bottom has worked very well for me for years in a vacation home in the mountains of New Mexico where we get lots of snow. Needs replacing every year or so.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon /forum/post/19641206

Extension cord. Hair dryer. Really freakin' long piece of PVC pipe.

Or simple put hot hater in a garden hose on that long pipe.

I've found that 5 gallons of hot water can get the wet snow out of a 3 meter dish. I used a step ladder and a five gallon plastic bucket.

·
Super Moderator
18,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy /forum/post/19642293

Or simple put hot hater in a garden hose...

Hot hater? Wouldn't that be a Minnesotan by definition?

Kidding.

Actually, you've given me a reason to trot out my pressure washer in the winter. I'm looking forward to this.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I've used my roof rake to gently remove snow build up on the lnb arm.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb /forum/post/19642077

A big black plastic garbage bag over the dish and tied at the bottom has worked very well for me for years in a vacation home in the mountains of New Mexico where we get lots of snow...

Yeah, but it's a dry snow.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sounds like your dish may have not been properly aligned. I have pretty much had my tv going for the last 2 days continually and have not lost signal one time (nor have I cleaned off my dish that is on the roof...).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.