AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
410 Posts
Two observations:

1. It proves that broadcasters have been lulled into thinking that HDTV=Movies=Hollywood. It is the biggest mistake they could be making, because I believe that HDTV=sports means a whole hell lot more to JOE SIXPACK than movies.

2. This could spell the end of HDTV. It will go the way of Divx because people already believe they have the right to copy any material they want as much as they want (and they even have a legal ruling to back them up). And they will vote for Analog SDTV/VCRs over HDTV with their wallets.

Rick

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GregQuinn:
Maybe it's just me, but personally I really have no objection to hollywood protecting its assets if they're distributing perfect broadcasts of them, providing I can watch their products in HD and can record them for home use. While in theory movies etc can be copy protected to not allow genuine home copying, I think in practise the end purpose of this is simply intended to stop people "dubbing" copies. If that's the case, that's OK by me.
It is ok with me too as long as it does not obsolete my current projector and display equipment.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that I care if they protect thier stuff... As long as I can use a PVR at home and my stuff is not obsolete...

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The problem with all of this I don't care as long as... Is that the MPAA and all the rest of their cronies want an all PPV all the time system. Anything you watch, they want you to pay for. Anything you listen to in the car, they want you to pay for. Divx was the first attempt and it failed but they will keep trying. This whole BS about please help us poor studios the pirates are killing us is just a way to get the foot in the door. The pirates who are by nature doing something illegal are going to find a way to decrypt whatever system they come up with.

Look at the whole DirecTv hacking thing, after having their illegal cards toasted by DiercTv I don't know how many times these guys are hooking computers up to their boxes somehow and having to stay connected to the internet I think to keep their hacked systems running. There is an entire cottage industry that has grown up around keeping one step ahead (or behind) DirecTv. The same is going to happen with movies. People will find a way to keep doing it, especially if they make money off it.

Of course this is just my opinion and yours will probably vary.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Quote:
As long as I can use a PVR at home and my stuff is not obsolete...
You will get PVR capability only on a case by case basis as the studio (not HBO) decides.

When 5c takes hold, you should EXPECT YOUR ANALOGUE OUTPUT TO BE DOWNCONVERTED to sdtv.

While certainly afraid of digital copies, they are as afraid of analogue recording of hi def material, even if its only for timeshifting.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
If you read that article carefully, our HD equipment will soon be obsoleted. You will NOT be able to WATCH high def. This is what most of us were afraid of (and some called us paranoid), and it now appears just around the corner.

There is no damn good reason why they can't develop this copy-protection crap at the VCR end!!! If they truly wanted us not to have the ability to COPY, then all they should have cared about was the VCR. We now know that is not the case. I don't know about you guys, but I will NOT be made a fool of by the MPAA. My HD days are nearly over, I will not buy a whole rack full of new equipment to satisfy these jerks. Buy your new equipment and run the risk in 6 months of them deciding that a NEW version of 5C is necessary AND, it won't be backward compatible. Nope, not me, I'm done.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ken,

You make mention of the fact that your HDTV equip will be obsolete in exactly 3 months. What happens in 3 months. I follow this site generally, but I haven't heard anything on that fast a time frame. Please let me know.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You people are all paranoid! Show me ANYTHING that says that you won't be able to output HD via component video!

This is a DIGITAL encryption standard, designed to protect the content while it is in the digital domain. It has nothing to do with analog outputs. There is nothing in the 5C standard that prevents, or could be used to prevent, analog video outputs - including HD resolution.

That Sony STB that everybody fears has Firewire output because it doesn't have the internal capability to decode an HD image!. It is a basic MPEG2 [email protected] decoder with the ability to pass-through an HD bitstream to an external or integrated HDTV receiver/decoder. It is a smart move. It means that ALL these digital cable customers will have HD-capability without the cable company having to worry about HD and non-HD set-tops. When you buy your Sony or Mitsu High Definition Television, all you'll need to do is plug the Firewire connection into it. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from using an external HDTV receiver than has component video outputs.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Banned
410 Posts
JohnnyG:

Most HD tuners has a built in feature to where the broadcaster can, through the transmission of a signal, presumably within the HDMPEG bitstream to TURN OFF the ANALOG HD OUTPUTS and force the tuner to output a SD 480i output ONLY. The feature [sic] has been positively confirmed for the DTC100 which is the highest volume HD tuner in the market so far.

Can you say obsolete in one bit?

Rick

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyG:
You people are all paranoid! Show me ANYTHING that says that you won't be able to output HD via component video!
I'm shocked! You're an electronics dealer and you don't know this? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif ALL STB's now come with a disclaimer along the lines of "In the future you may not be able to view high definition pictures with this device". Read the fine print first, and then we'll talk.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
39 Posts
Who Cares!

The MPAA just wants to protect their MOVIES. PBS, CBS, ABC will still give you what you want. There is the content supplied by the broadcaster, which will most assuredly not be downconverted and then their is the MPAA with their movies. Let the MPAA keep their crappy movies and go watch some peaceful nature scenes and glorious NOVA in HDTV on PBS.

I feel better now.

------------------

Paul

Up on a roof waiting to be struck by lightning.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Really? Who do you think makes the content for the networks (except PBS)? They're the same studios that make the movies!

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can hardly believe that the MPAA gives a care about sitcoms, sports, news broadcasts, soaps and late night shows. These cost no where near the millions for a movie. When was the last time you saw pirated versions of seinfeld on the street?

Let them protect their movies. Who cares? I can watch something else.

------------------

Paul

Up on a roof waiting to be struck by lightning.

·
Registered
186 Posts
With all this talk basically off air public channels like

CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN etc and other independent stations like KCAL, KTLA should be left free. If HBO, Showtime etc decides to encrypt then whatever. I still want to use my TiVo etc.

------------------
http://www.ragingminds.com

Deals, Coupons & Freebies!

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
John G,

I suggest you talk to the engineering dept at Cablevision here in N.Y. They'd be very interested in your interpretation of the Sony box that THEY HAVE IN THEIR HANDS. Do you have one?? This box will NOT allow any Cablevision customer with a current HD set to WATCH HD unless you have a firewire input on your TV. THEY HAVE TOLD ME THIS THEMSELVES. John, what don't you understand about this???? ARE YOU IN DENIAL??? I don't know where you get your info, but YOU ARE WRONG. THERE ARE NO COMPONENT OUTPUTS ON THIS BOX, NONE, ZIPPO, ZERO, NADA.

I am sick & tired of having to explain this 1000 times. I've already given out the Cablevision digital dept number on another thread for those "disbelievers". Cablevision is currently broadcasting an 8VSB HD signal that will change with the advent of the new Sony boxes in the fall. The modulation scheme will no longer be 8VSB. The ONLY way you will be able to WATCH the HD content is via the FIREWIRE outputs of the box via the firewire inputs of the HDTV you DO NOT HAVE.

I'm done, I'm tired and I'm really frustrated. Talking to people in denial is exhausting.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
What you really need is a box that has the Firewire Input, that emulates whatever is doing the 5C, then output via component outputs. This SHOULD be do-able by somebody with the proper engineering credentials / licensing arraingemnts.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ken Ross,

Chill buddy. Read JohnnyG's post more carefully. He doesn't deny that the cable STB doesn't have analog outputs. It doesn't contain an HDTV decoder. What JohnnyG is suggesting is that an external HDTV decoder with firewire input and analog outputs (i.e. Panasonic TU-DST5x or similar not yet available box) could be used to decode the cable box signal. This remains to be seen however. The panasonic STB is no longer made and may or may not be compatible and I haven't heard of any soon-to-be available STB with this capability. I have my doubts.

Scooper,

Not likely if the studios agreed to accept 5C only if analog outputs are not permitted (I don't know if this is true.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.