AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So will it be "safe" to connect the X-box or GAMECUBE to a HDTV set?, is it for sure that these devices won't damage the TV? For example, I have a Pioneer SD-582-5HD and I'm very sure that in the owner's manual it warns about connecting and using video game consoles, since they could "damage" the TV.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
One good thing I just read this past week is that the game cube will have HTDV resolution games. The Star Wars game is the only one that's been anounced at the high resolution.

By HDTV do you mean RP-HDTV? Manufacturers always advise against playing video games on RPTVs. The reaon dates back to the old days of video games. Static screens are bad, burn-in will be the result. I worked as a game programmer for years. And it's my personal belief that for the most part games are not too bad these days. Projection displays always seem to become victim of quick burn-in.

Back to the days of the Atari 2600 when FPTVs were in their infancy... Atari, Intellivision and Coleco had mostly static screens with some minor movement. These games could easily cause burn-in.

These days everything is moving except for status and score indicators. This would be my only concern. But, I'm also concerned with financial channel tickers and those static channel logos.

Video games fall into 4:3 content on a 16:9 display with letterbox bars. Moderation is the key! Switch content and modes and you should be fine.

[This message has been edited by Jeff D (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The logos and energy tickers, etc. for these games should move slowly or randomly. That would alleviate screen burn.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes JefF, my Pioneer is an RPTV, that is why I want to know if these new game consoloes would damage my TV befdore I buy any of them.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It's not the console that causes damage, it's the type of game.

Most 3D Fighters have static health bars. This is not good for a RPTV or FPTV.....HD capable or not.

I decided not to purchase the racing game GT3 (even though I loved it after renting it) because it has several static items on the screen that can not be turned off.

Madden and NCAA 2002 for the PS2 have very limited static images and they are constantly on and off the screen, so they will not likely cause damage to my set. Also, they both have built in 16:9 support, which is a VERY nice feature.

It is really more of a concern depending on what games you will playing, not the hardware. The Xbox will be able to connect to 1080i inputs, but that doesn't mean it's clear of any burn in issues. It also doesn't mean that games will automatically be in that resolution (I think it's limit is 480p anyway, but it will be able to connect to your HD input)

------------------

Jon
Home_Theater_Pics
My_DVD_Profiler

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Jeff, the article was wrong the GameCube starwars will be 480P Wide Screen. I don't have the link handy, but the talk to the developer of the game.

XBOX is capable of 1080I for the games, Test Drive is the only one announced at this time. Everything else is 480P Wide screen.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't see most games (on any console) going above 640x480 progressive. Sure it'd be nice to have 720p, but the user base of the 720p connection is so small and not worth the performance hit games would take raising their resolution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.