AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buzz is nuts, but I've found a way to make it work, my main concern is for $2,000 is there anything that will come along in the next 12-16 months that will make me regret my purchase.

I have until today (maybe tomororw) to decide. I've read almost anything I can find on current/future tv tech. I mainly bought this because of LG's waffling on OLED and this push for quantum dot crap. I've said in other posts that I have an h5000 but that will stay in my bedroom, where lighting is unnecessary.

So keep it because nothing better will arrive for a few years? or return it? I can afford it but I'm cheap and rather not regret it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
Buzz is nuts, but I've found a way to make it work, my main concern is for $2,000 is there anything that will come along in the next 12-16 months that will make me regret my purchase.

I have until today (maybe tomororw) to decide. I've read the almost anything I can find on current/future tv tech. I mainly bought this because of LG's waffling on OLED and this push for quantum dot crap. I've said in other posts that I have an h5000 but that will stay in my bedroom, where lighting is unnecessary.

So keep it because nothing better will arrive for a few years? or return it? I can afford it but I'm cheap and rather not regret it.

Thanks.
LG isn't waffling on OLED. In fact it's coming out with more OLED tv's than last year. Unfortunately, you won't find an OLED for $2000 right now. I'm sure the the 9300 will come down close to that price before the year is over, but it's a 2013 model, 1080p, 55 inches and curved. The new sets will easily be over $3000, with the bulk over $5000.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts

I have until today (maybe tomororw) to decide. I've read the almost anything I can find on current/future tv tech. I mainly bought this because of LG's waffling on OLED and this push for quantum dot crap. I've said in other posts that I have an h5000 but that will stay in my bedroom, where lighting is unnecessary.

Thanks.
Are you nuts, you ain't gonna find anything better for 2k in the next 12-16 months. Keep it or sell it to Ric Flair, woooooo.

Reactions: HLdan

·
Registered
66 Posts
You wanna sell me a refurb?
Well Not sure if it's a true refurbish. Its getting a new screen install, and all other parts that need to be replace it will. The Samsung repair man told me it's going to be just as new after everything is fixed. I would love to keep it, but my wife is weird about things that broke once, and trust me, this is a battle I don't mind loosing if i'm going to get a new TV in the process. TV was build in April 2013 and purchase in July 2013.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lemme know warranty situation - price - shipping to NJ.
Warranty is gone after this repair, Wont ship, you have to come and pick it up (maybe 6 hour drive to Boston from jersey). I'm doing some research on the going rate for a used/refurb F8500 and I will let you know if you still okay with the first 2 questions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sell it to me!
I sent you a PM if the refurb one doesn't work out, but let me know today if you could so I don't return it.

Oh what I forgot to send in the PM was its a July 2014 panel with 11 months left on the warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sent you a PM if the refurb one doesn't work out, but let me know today if you could so I don't return it.

Oh what I forgot to send in the PM was its a July 2014 panel with 11 months left on the warranty.
What is the reason your selling yours if you don't mind me asking ? Only reason I'm asking because if my panel didn't die, there is no way I would sell it!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the reason your selling yours if you don't mind me asking ? Only reason I'm asking because if my panel didn't die, there is no way I would sell it!!
I'll copy what I sent to Ric heh:

I'm returning it cause I have an H5000 already, tho its a mirror so i'm keeping it in my bedroom, and because of grad school and trying to be thrifty. I'm just a plasma fan, have Panasonic's and such, and when I heard every manufacturer was discontinuing production I just bought whatever I could.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'll copy what I sent to Ric heh:

I'm returning it cause I have an H5000 already, tho its a mirror so i'm keeping it in my bedroom, and because of grad school and trying to be thrifty. I'm just a plasma fan, have Panasonic's and such, and when I heard every manufacturer was discontinuing production I just bought whatever I could.
You WILL regret getting rid of the F8500. There are a lot of people that are sorry they procrastinated about getting that set. You would rather keep an entry-level Plasma that you have to greatly accommodate it's misgivings and limitations get rid of one of the finest TV's ever made that has little to no misgivings and works in virtually any in-house lighting conditions, plus no glare? Okay. Suit yourself but something tells me that you may have been overly-influenced by some of the posters on the H5000 thread. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You WILL regret getting rid of the F8500. There are a lot of people that are sorry they procrastinated about getting that set. You would rather keep an entry-level Plasma that you have to greatly accommodate it's misgivings and limitations get rid of one of the finest TV's ever made that has little to no misgivings and works in virtually any in-house lighting conditions, plus no glare? Okay. Suit yourself but something tells me that you may have been overly-influenced by some of the posters on the H5000 thread. ;)
well I have both, so not really influenced by anyone but my eyes:) and really its just a money issue, whether I can live with myself spending a total of $3k on tv's heh.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
well I have both, so not really influenced by anyone but my eyes:) and really its just a money issue, whether I can live with myself spending a total of $3k on tv's heh.
Then I'm confused. So why did you create this thread? Because if it's a money issue there's nothing any of us here can say to you to convince you. The members here don't manage your household or lifestyle. That would be your own decision. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then I'm confused. So why did you create this thread? Because if it's a money issue there's nothing any of us here can say to you to convince you. The members here don't manage your household or lifestyle. That would be your own decision. :)
Mostly because I respect the opinions of some of the various posters in the plasma forums, because most of us are insanely informed, plus you never know, maybe someone would have thrown out a chunk of wisdom I was unaware of to influence my decision, maybe I just needed people telling me i'm a nooblet for wanting to sell it, which has happened. Why else do we have these forums if not to gain insight and influence on decisions we make in regards to tech, but alas I've heeded the advice of posters and pm'rs and will keep it, since it seems I'll be able to sell it at anytime I want to in the future.

The money issue (which yes you're right I can afford it so that's minor) it's more of, will something better come out soon enough to make me regret keeping it since I showed up late to the plasma end game (I had been hoping OLED would be realist in the next year or two) so I hadn't planned on buying a new tv for a while.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Totally agree. I sold my 8500 and still regret it, even though my situation justified it. But every time I walk into a Best Buy and see all of the crap that they are pushing now, I get a bit depressed thinking about what may have been.

The H5000 is not a bad consolation prize, however.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts