AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Mits 65857. Duron 800 with Voodoo3500. Have VGA to BNC using just the red, blue and green going into Component 1 input. This is one of my "High Res Inputs". My STB is in the DTV input and DVD is in Component 2. When I go to switch the TV to Comp 1, all I see is a blue screen, like there would be if there were no signal. I have downloaded Powerstrip3 and using 960x540p. Does anyone have any ideas? I am tring to get my HTPC to display the 540p so that I can use Avia to adjust my HD inputs and for general DVD use.

Is it safe to just pull the monitor cable out and plug in the cable going to the TV with everything on? I dont need the H & V cables doing it this way do I?

Thanks!

Steve

I just tried 640x480p, and still no luck. :-(

[This message has been edited by SteveHoltam (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
876 Posts
Steve,

You have it hooked up incorrectly. VGA IS NOT component. I repeat, VGA is NOT component. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

You need to hook up the computer to a RGB(HV) input on the TV. You should also look at a different video card. That Voodoo 3500 is bested by at least 2 cards (Radeon and GeForce) by a wide margin. Good luck.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Steve,

If I read you correctly you have a VGA breakout cable connected to your video card and the R, G and B connectors connected to a component input on your TV. This means you have two connecotrs left over that are now dangling behind your TV. These two connectors contain horizontal and virtical sync information that tells your TV where to put the R, G and B. As Bill states VGA is not component, so this is unlikely to work.

You have two options. First you can try and get your video card to output a component signal. I saw a thread on this a while back and I don't think it came to much. The second option is to get VGA to component transcoder to convert your VGA into a component sugnal. There is one made by Audio Authority, the 9A60 I think. I have seen people post of their good experience with this. One of the members here (karnis) has tested this one and some others, so if he sees this thread he should be able to advise on the merits of the different makes.

Best of luck Steve http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

------------

Simon Wilson
My Naff Home Page

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I now see what I need to do. I have just another question. I now now I must use the RGB and H&V into my only input that accepts this, can I do the following. Use a Y type adapter into the set for the RGB inputs and leave the computers H&V inputs in all the time? This would merge the RGB from the computer and HD receiver at the connection on the back of the TV, and since the HD receiver does not use the H&V inputs, I would just let the computer use those. I know that I coudnt view the two sources at the same time, but would each work by itself? Has anyone tried this?

Steve

·
Registered
901 Posts
So your set has an RGBHV input, great. This will give you the best picture of all. If your HD receiver only has component out then I guess you will have to change the setup on you TV from component to RGBHV and back when needed. So long as you NEVER have both devices on at the same time then the Y adapter should be OK, but be aware you will probably lose picture quality and maybe get some ghosting as well. If you have both devices on at the samethen I am not sure of the result. Maybe is best not to even try.

I think you have two options here, try and get a VGA from the HD decdoder, or use a VGA to component convertor for the HTPC. When you get both types the same then you can use a switch boc to delsect the one you want.

Best of Luck!

------------------

------------

Simon Wilson
My Naff Home Page

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Im typing this from my living room via wireless keyboard, so we have sucsess. It worked at 960x540p @ 60hz. Of course I cant see any of the sides, but I will deal with that later. My TV is upconverting to 1080i and is set for RGB, or so it says. I guess now I have to use powerstrip to fine tune to fit. I am using the Y connectors and everything seems to work on both the HTPC side and HD receiver. The receivers on screen displays look a little ghosty, but HD HBO looks fine. I will try other resoultions and settings and post my results as there is not much info for owners of the Voodoo cards here. ANy suggestions for testing will be gladly accepted.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.